PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@mingc : In terms of Rose Geranium I know it's not the actual oil that is used to flavor the tobacco but something known as a 'tincture' which I would suggest is the 'oil' dissolved in alcohol and then diluted to so many parts per thousand with distilled water or some other neutral agent. At that point it would be a chemical, as an oil it would be an organic flavoring agent and who in gods name wants to burn an oil as the characteristics would change under combustion and I would think the byproducts would be none to health inducing. Just my thoughts. How about those Yankees?

As a biochemist with a stint in a chemistry lab, I agree.
Hipsters and vegetarians make a fuss about “chemicals” and they miss that we are all chemicals.
@cosmicfolklore I never smelled pure geranium oil, and perception of flavours can be different so you may well be right. It’s also a big plant family so maybe something smells like roses. I hate the rose oil smell, I find it VERY heavy, cloying and disgusting. But I’d put my peepee in a fire that DFS is scented with that plant that if I google the Greek name of it I get results for Pelargonium, the plant which grew and still grows in my mother’s balcony, and always has a leaf thrown in a pot making jam etc.

Fun fact, Greeks claim that other than flavouring sweets Pelargonium is good for warding off mosquitoes. Eucalyptus trees too though that’s likely because they dry the soil around them.
A buddy of mine in organic chemistry for Monsanto was always correcting me when I was talking about organic gardening. I was using the term chemical as the distinct opposite of organic, and even what was organic became fuzzy around him. But, orange juice is a chemical. Chemicals are not all manmade, hell water is one.
Now, in your professional jargon you may define them differently, but... for the sake of what "I" meant by chemical, was not that rose geranium was some sort of manmade lab experiment, but that pressed oils... which are chemicals organically produced.
But, his job was to spend all day removing the smell from shit, so that I could call nitrogen a chemical, and it's organic... no matter what the hippie side show freaks say it is.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@cosmicfolklore : Example. Hypothesis 1. I hand you my fedora hat. You promptly drop your trousers and take a dump in my hat. Is it organic or a chemical? Hypothesis 2. I take the sh*t from my hat and process it in some fashion to render it odor free. Is that a chemical or is it an organic processed turd? Hypothesis 3. I take the odor free processed turd and then press it into cubes. Organic or a chemical? Hypothesis 4. It take the little cubes and cover then in saccharine? Organic or chemical?

@cosmicfolklore : Example. Hypothesis 1. I hand you my fedora hat. You promptly drop your trousers and take a dump in my hat. Is it organic or a chemical? Hypothesis 2. I take the sh*t from my hat and process it in some fashion to render it odor free. Is that a chemical or is it an organic processed turd? Hypothesis 3. I take the odor free processed turd and then press it into cubes. Organic or a chemical? Hypothesis 4. It take the little cubes and cover then in saccharine? Organic or chemical?
You are still using “organic” and “chemical” as distinct opposites, of which I would not.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
my solution to this problem @Donb1972 is to buy any tobacco that is named after a town in the Lakes and see which one hits closest to the mark that you are looking for.

As an example, my grandad used to smoke Condor a lot, it was the first pipe tobacco I smoked and when I came back to the pipe, I was disappointed to find that Condor today didn’t taste how I remembered. I then did some digging to find out that production had moved to Eastern Europe and presumed that that was it; no more old style condor but, please hear me out @condorlover1, I stumbled across Rich Dark Honeydew or Spring Dark Mornings or whatever the hell it’s called these days and it had something similar going on, like I remembered old Condor. It turns out it is honey and some other things - it tastes nothing like SG’s Black Forest which is flavoured only with honey I believe. I’ve now taken to adding a pinch of RDH to half a flake of Condor and, although not exact, it is closer to what my mouth remembers so I’m good with that.

Have a mix about with some things; your grandad might have put a pinch of magic into his tobacco too?

Now, where were we? Ah yes - everything is made of chemicals but some chemicals are more chemical than others…I have a friend who works for a Cobblers and he told me that. ?

Reactions: Donb1972

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
There's money to be made in this process is there? How do I invest? ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@cosmicfolklore : The operative Statement ....."You are still using “organic” and “chemical” as distinct opposites, of which I would not". So other people may use a different turn of phrase? Would that be a correct assumption? As an after thought would you wear my fedora after taking a dump in it if it was purely chemical? :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A buddy of mine in organic chemistry for Monsanto was always correcting me when I was talking about organic gardening. I was using the term chemical as the distinct opposite of organic, and even what was organic became fuzzy around him. But, orange juice is a chemical. Chemicals are not all manmade, hell water is one.
Now, in your professional jargon you may define them differently, but... for the sake of what "I" meant by chemical, was not that rose geranium was some sort of manmade lab experiment, but that pressed oils... which are chemicals organically produced.
But, his job was to spend all day removing the smell from shit, so that I could call nitrogen a chemical, and it's organic... no matter what the hippie side show freaks say it is.
Actually I don’t know the farming/gardening definition of organic, but organic when talking about chemical compounds means they have carbon 99.9% of the time.

I don’t know what we are debating about to be honest. An extract from a natural organism will have far more depth and nuance than a synthetic counterpart just because it contains a lot more compounds in it. Take vanilla extract and vanillin. Vanillin gives 95% of the vanilla bean’s taste/smell, yet it’s the remaining 5% which give vanilla extract its depth. Pure vanillin, which I have used in chromatography, smells intensely of vanilla, but it’s flat. Personally I don’t know nor care what exactly GH and others use to flavour tobacco. A mix of synthetic compounds would be far far cheaper, far far more consistent, and cleaner than a mix of natural extracts, hence ideal for commercial production. We are smokers, we are not here for healthy bamboo chewing panda farts, so I care about my tobacco tasting how I like it, no matter what’s on it!

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
my solution to this problem @Donb1972 is to buy any tobacco that is named after a town in the Lakes and see which one hits closest to the mark that you are looking for.

As an example, my grandad used to smoke Condor a lot, it was the first pipe tobacco I smoked and when I came back to the pipe, I was disappointed to find that Condor today didn’t taste how I remembered. I then did some digging to find out that production had moved to Eastern Europe and presumed that that was it; no more old style condor but, please hear me out @condorlover1, I stumbled across Rich Dark Honeydew or Spring Dark Mornings or whatever the hell it’s called these days and it had something similar going on, like I remembered old Condor. It turns out it is honey and some other things - it tastes nothing like SG’s Black Forest which is flavoured only with honey I believe. I’ve now taken to adding a pinch of RDH to half a flake of Condor and, although not exact, it is closer to what my mouth remembers so I’m good with that.

Have a mix about with some things; your grandad might have put a pinch of magic into his tobacco too?

Now, where were we? Ah yes - everything is made of chemicals but some chemicals are more chemical than others…I have a friend who works for a Cobblers and he told me that. ?
Thanks! I'll give that a try! He did mix his tobaccos a bit, so that will be another avenue for me to explore.

Reactions: Piping Abe

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@mingc : In terms of Rose Geranium I know it's not the actual oil that is used to flavor the tobacco but something known as a 'tincture' which I would suggest is the 'oil' dissolved in alcohol and then diluted to so many parts per thousand with distilled water or some other neutral agent. At that point it would be a chemical, as an oil it would be an organic flavoring agent and who in gods name wants to burn an oil as the characteristics would change under combustion and I would think the byproducts would be none to health inducing. Just my thoughts. How about those Yankees?
@condorlover1 Or Redcoats:)

Reactions: Donb1972 and mingc

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

@Franco Pipenbeans I've only had my clay pipes since Condor production moved to Poland so can't comment on the taste; it still packs the strength, taste and flavour. I got a whiff of some floral scent when opening the packet and it goes down well!
I bought a packet of Condor RR when I got my first clay pipe because it was the only pipe baccy I knew of at the time and I fancied a smoke of tobacco in the clay to try it out...

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
@cosmicfolklore SG Grousemoor is really nice.

If you like VAs and ones that are also light with very nice flavors, you might like this.

Grousemoor comes across like a light VA blend, something like Esoterica might of done, it’s very much in the same wheel house. :)

View attachment 129004
That picture brings tears of joy to this old man's eyes. Sniff! ?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I don't really find Dark Flake to have much of that Rose Geranium. What the hell concoction is exactly making that taste, I have no idea, but it doesn't taste like roses like the Kendal flake does. I also don't find Ennerdale to have that rose taste at all. In fact, as I read through this thread, I have no fucking idea what these guys are all tasting, ha ha. Rose Geranium is the specific taste of rose soap, and I don't find that in many of their blends, just the Kendal. Rose geranium may be a small ingredient in DF and Ennerdale, but it's not enough to bring it to the forefront like that nasty Kendal mess. YMMV, because maybe GH&co is just so damned random, that they got rose flavored stuff that I didn't because they don't know what the hell their doing in the factory. Or, they do know what they are doing, and it is just trying to f with all of us by making each iteration of their product completely different.

I realize that GH&co may be watching these threads, but if we don't speak the truth, how can we help them? If we just kiss their ass, they'll just keep on being more and more random. YMMV
Thanks for the heads up regarding Ennerdale. That's a bit disappointing, but guess I shall find out if I can figure out the flavors soon!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I smoke 79 myself(the old and new versions).
You're a good man! I had a bowl of new 79 just the other day and I must be getting soft in my dotage because I didn't think it was as deficient compared to old 79 as I once thought. How do you like new 79 compared to old 79?

Peretti's No Name is a 79 clone but made with nicer and smoother quality burley, I think. I also think it's more like old 79 then new 79. Good stuff!

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
You're a good man! I had a bowl of new 79 just the other day and I must be getting soft in my dotage because I didn't think it was as deficient compared to old 79 as I once thought. How do you like new 79 compared to old 79?

Peretti's No Name is a 79 clone but made with nicer and smoother quality burley, I think. I also think it's more like old 79 then new 79. Good stuff!
Well, I took a break from smoking, and only started again 3 months ago. They must have changed the recipe during the time I was not smoking, because when I started again, I bought a tub of good ol' Mixture 79. When I smoked the first bowl I knew something was off. But I was not about to throw out a whole tub of tobacco, so I kept smoking it, and started to appreciate it for what it is...not exactly the same but still pretty darn good. So it grew on me. I did later mix some War Horse Green with Mixture 79, and that seems to bring it a little closer to the old stuff. But I still enjoy straight 79.

I will have to try the No Name. Someone else mentioned that, so I have to give it a shot.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
@cosmicfolklore : The operative Statement ....."You are still using “organic” and “chemical” as distinct opposites, of which I would not". So other people may use a different turn of phrase? Would that be a correct assumption? As an after thought would you wear my fedora after taking a dump in it if it was purely chemical? :poop:

• Love
Reactions: condorlover1