PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Americans are notorious for ignoring filters in their pipes. Europeans are much more accepting of them.
I suspect that 'some' of that is propaganda ... if they don't offer it regularly its not an option therefore not purchased. If they provided the same amount of product as they do in Germany ... sales would probably be higher. I notice that those filter pipes they do offer here often sell out quickly ... so ... Quid es Veritas ???

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I have a Savinelli Linea PIU 3 and removed the filter from the get-go! I also have a Wilmer Briar with a filter that I removed after first smoking it for a short while with a filter. Both pipes smoke beautifully without the filters.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
I'm on the other side of the fence here, I have a bunch of savinellis and prefer the filter. I have smoked them without both filter and adapters but like the draw with the balsa wood. The charcoal filter on the other hand to me at least restricts the air flow to much. I suppose it really comes down to personal preference, experiment with all three ways and figure out what works for you.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Based on the title I thought this would be a thread about Savinelli's that do not have a filter system. My only Sav is from the Tre series that are non-filtered, with a 3mm airway. Good draw for me.

Reactions: kcghost

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do any of you just pull the filter out of your Sav and smoke it wide open without the filter or adapter. I just wanted and easier draw. I do not smoke fast and try not to heat mine up to much.
Yes, that's how I prefer my filtered pipes. I like a good open draw. I've tried with the filter, with the adapter, but much prefer with nothing.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I never use a filter. The pipe works fine without it.

That being said, the turbulence in the space can increase moisture. Usually not a big deal. My philosophy is that there are so many great pipes out there in many different style, why buy a filter pipe if you don't use a filter??

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I use an adapter. I don’t like the balsa wood filters. received a few packs of 6mm meerschaum filters I’ll be trying out tomorrow but generally feel filters are just wasting money.

Reactions: BayouGhost