PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I've used Dr. Plumbs 6 mm filters and they restrict the draw too much IMO. I use the balsa in 6mm Savs and like them just fine.
Horses for courses I guess

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I use the adapters but have slowly started replacing the few I have with no-filter versions. It is worth paying a bit more for instance for the Luisa series and not having to mess with the adapters. Without them the draw is too open and with them, I have to take the pipe apart to get all the gunk out.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
I have primarily smoked my Sav entirely filtered (with the Sav balsa filters) and my Pete entirely unfiltered. They are both bent pipes with roughly the same chimney dimensions. My Sav has smoked completely dry to my mouth, whereas depending on the blend my Pete has definitely produced some acrid liquid / bubbling from time to time. I can't detect any difference in how the same blends taste between the two pipes. Not saying this is conclusive -- just two datapoints and there are a lot of subtle variables -- but at least compelling for me. I intend to purchase more filtered and unfiltered pipes in the interest of research.

Reactions: Fuelman

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I can’t stand how open the draw is when smoking the 6mm drilling with no filter. The unfiltered Savinelli pipes are drilled to 3mm and those are the pipes that I smoke from them. I have 2 pipes from their tre rusticated line.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I am fan of Savinelli pipes, and a fan of 9mm charcoal filters. It is difficult to find 9mm Savs here in US, so I order such pipes from Europe. The retailers that support this site are excellent.

In case you haven't checked smokingpipes.com lately, they have more than 150 Savinelli 9mm pipes for sale currently, with a good selection of shapes and finishes. The prices range from $114 to $150. Unless you are into the higher end Savs. If not, you may want to take a peek.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
In case you haven't checked smokingpipes.com lately, they have more than 150 Savinelli 9mm pipes for sale currently, with a good selection of shapes and finishes. The prices range from $114 to $150. Unless you are into the higher end Savs. If not, you may want to take a peek.

Thanks for the tip! smokingpipes.com is one of my favorite retailers, for both pipes and cigars. I have earned five badges there thus far. I recently bought from them the lovely flame grain 9mm Ser Jacapo pictured below.

1714775073285.jpeg

1714775120083.jpeg

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Thanks for the tip! smokingpipes.com is one of my favorite retailers, for both pipes and cigars. I have earned five badges there thus far. I recently bought from them the lovely flame grain 9mm Ser Jacapo pictured below.

View attachment 307603

View attachment 307604

That is a beautiful pipe! I am a fan of the bent apple style. Smooth finish with light stain is a favorite of mine. It really shows off the grain. I am sure the picture does not do it justice.

I find myself gravitating to smokingpipes.com most often. The website is well designed and the search function for pipes, tobacco, and cigars is the best I have experienced. Their customer service has always treated me right on returns.

I didn't know about the badges. I checked and I only have the UPS Freeloader Badge. I need to work on that ha, ha.

Smoking Pipe402

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2023
Fairbury, NE
I never put the adapter in nor do I use a filter. It’s a personal preference I do it because I’m too lazy to mess with a filter and I do not like the restricted draw.