PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dc552

Lurker
Apr 14, 2023
Good day friends,

I'm not yet looking to get a second pipe but down the line, I do see it as a formality. I have a bent apple Peterson and for the second pipe I wanted something quite different to have a variety and not two similar pipes. I was thinking about a straight billiard rusticated savinelli. If anyone has suggestions let me know.

Cheers,

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I almost hate to go this route, but what kind of tobaccos do you generally smoke, you could look at stapes based on that, if you like flakes or english blends or lat bombs, a lot of people find different shapes enhance different blends.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Don’t do it, it’s called pipe acquisition disorder or disease, once you start…. I think that’s a great choice in shape and company, it’s good to mix up styles a wee bit in your collection. Sav makes really great affordable high end factory pipes, can’t go wrong. You might want to check out Neerup too on SmokingPipes.com, he makes very affordable high end artisan pipes…

Reactions: beargreasediet

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's definitely a good idea to number them incase they do something crazy like smoke themselves without you. Few Peterson is all you need. Rest are details.

Reactions: Jef

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any Savinelli rusticated straight billiard is likely to serve you well. For a second pipe, and the first of this shape, I'd recommend a tapered stem instead of a saddle stem, though either is fine.

Take your time. I'd suggest only buying one pipe at a time.

Rossi pipes are owned by Savinelli and come in the same shapes, are slightly less fancy in finish, and cost less, if you'd like to consider those. The shape numbers are often the same as Savinelli pipes with an "8" added to the front of the shape number. Either brand is fine.

Most Savinelli pipes are designed to take a 6 mm balsa wood filter, but smoke well without a filter in most cases, depending on your preference. Try it both ways. Some Rossi series, and a few Savinelli, do not take filters, so just know what you are buying.

Best luck.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That is like asking "what should I have for dinner tonight ?"

An open question like that is totally meaningless unless you tell us your some of your likes or dislikes

When I started to buy pipes I spent a lot of time looking at retailers' inventories.
As well as members' pipes in the "WAYS" and "Show Off Your ......." threads

Pipes are kinda personal.
What works for me or what is attractive to me may not be to you.

Firstly work out what you like or find attractive, then go from there.
So many choices. And sure you may occasionally make a regrettable choice.
But that is part of the journey and joy of buying pipes.

Narrow your choice to a couple you really like.
THEN canvass the members for their opinions

Reactions: tklee and Scottmi

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd also highly recommend a Missouri Meerschaum cob, especially if you spend a little extra to get one with an acrylic stem, which only brings you to about twenty to thirty USD. They also make good hardwood pipes that are low cost and smoke well. Add these to your two briars, and you'll have plenty to rest and dry out all your pipes between smokes. You won't need another for years. But as someone warned you ... good luck with that.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Here is one that is different, and on sale!: LOL! :rolleyes:

Todd.jpg

Seriously, I agree with @mso489 who gives you great advice, and heed the warning of @Sobrbiker.

My pipe suggestion idea above is obviously in jest, but it points out that you can spend as much $$$ as you want on a single pipe and not get what you want. The price does not necessarily (or even usually) reflect the quality of the smoke a pipe offers. Be frugal and find out what you want BEFORE spending a large amount on any single pipe. That Pete that you have is a great smoke for a reasonable price.

Happy piping and good luck!

-Doc

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Savinelli make some fine pipes. I am partial to billiards and rustication, so for MY sensibilities you should get a straight billiard rusticated Savinelli. Of course, I will not be the one smoking it so my input is of only minor validity.

slewthy

Lurker
Apr 16, 2024
Shropshire, UK
So, as a new comer, it does seem like pipes are like bikes or tools. They number you needs is n+1, where n=the number you currently have.

I've been pipe smoking a month or 2 now. My first pipe was a Barling estate. I then bought a Chacom for around £100.
Very happy with both but found myself 'browsing' today!
And I love the look of Sobrbiker 's cabinet.........

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So, as a new comer, it does seem like pipes are like bikes or tools. They number you needs is n+1, where n=the number you currently have.

I've been pipe smoking a month or 2 now. My first pipe was a Barling estate. I then bought a Chacom for around £100.
If you search the threads here (using search at the top) there are a couple very long threads full of pictures of a lot of guys set ups and some are downright awe inspiring.

Here is one of many threads

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

There sometimes comes a point of saturation though. After 30+ years of collecting I find myself only reaching for five or six of the pipes in my collection.