PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I love SJ pipes and look at a bunch of them. That is a very unique bowl! What a beautiful pipe. I don’t usually pay that close attention to the stamping. I believe most do say “fatta a Mano” as well as “Per Aspera Ad Astra” (to the stars thru work). I have a seven day SJ set..I’ll look at mine when I get home this afternoon and see what they all say and report back. I agree with others here—nice pipe however it is stamped🙂

Reactions: LotusEater

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
That’s interesting maybe it is common? I don’t know that much about the brand and pipephil and pipedia don’t mention it.
English is the lingua franca of commerce. These kinds of inscriptions and tags being rendered in English is not unique to pipes.

Speaking of pipes, that Ser Jacopo of yours looks mighty fine!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
English is the lingua franca of commerce. These kinds of inscriptions and tags being rendered in English is not unique to pipes.

Speaking of pipes, that Ser Jacopo of yours looks mighty fine!
I get that English is the language of commerce and that this might explain the inscription on my pipe - I guess I’m just wondering why some SJ pipes have English nomenclature and others don’t. It would make sense to me for instance if the English inscription were reserved for pipes earmarked for export to the the US or UK but I haven’t come across anything on the inter web that suggests this the case.

Reactions: K.E. Powell
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Congratulations on the new acquisition! The bowl is unusual, kind of like a more literal depiction of a tulip with its petals, and the grain and finish beautiful.

Your pipe appears to be from Ser Jacopo’s “La Fuma” line, which I’ve seen unfairly described as a seconds line—a better description I’ve seen is it lacks the adornments seen on some of their other lines. I wonder if your dot is made from actual coral, which would mean it’s from an earlier period of the company existence.

I agree with @K.E. Powell ’s assessment of the stamping being in English; I do wonder if the pipe could’ve been intended for the export market, i.e., for sale in the US.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Congratulations on the new acquisition! The bowl is unusual, kind of like a more literal depiction of a tulip with its petals, and the grain and finish beautiful.

Your pipe appears to be from Ser Jacopo’s “La Fuma” line, which I’ve seen unfairly described as a seconds line—a better description I’ve seen is it lacks the adornments seen on some of their other lines. I wonder if your dot is made from actual coral, which would mean it’s from an earlier period of the company existence.

I agree with @K.E. Powell ’s assessment of the stamping being in English; I do wonder if the pipe could’ve been intended for the export market, i.e., for sale in the US.
My pipe is marked “La Fuma Finche Tira”. I have seen this line described as a seconds line as you mentioned in your post. My pipe may have some small blemish in the finish that kept it from receiving a higher grading - I’m not sure. The seller didn’t mention anything and I can’t see anything in the sellers photos. If there is a small pit or some other minor blemish I won’t be too upset (or surprised). I’m happy with the price I payed and I love the tulip like carving of the bowl and the overall shape and finish of the pipe.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I have a paneled Canadian Le Fume. There are 6 fills, the bowl is drilled off center and the panels are wonky. It takes a 9mm filter which i leave out. I would definitely consider mine a second especially when taken into consideration the high quality of their ‘firsts’.
Cosmetics aside I will say it’s a great smoking pipe.

Reactions: LotusEater

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Ser Jacopo I dearly love, a Dublin deep blast with a serpentine shank and saddle stem; and I have a Caminetto Hawkbill I won in a veteran's limerick contest on this site. Your Hawkbill is a smashing pipe! The carving and finish are brilliant.

My Hawkbill is great, with its short length but ample chamber. See below.

From my puttering around Europe a little (no major world traveler here) I'd say that Ser Jacopo decided English was a more generally known language across the continent and overseas than Italian. The Dutch, the French, Germans, Russians, Irish, Spanish, and the ItaDDBE7E95-C850-4A39-BF7A-A8485A4FE4AB.jpeglians themselves would be likely to translate it correctly, so they go with that stamp. So they don't have to stamp everything in sixteen languages hoping they land in the right markets.