PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I don’t think so
Too bad. It would be a nice marker for dating their pipes. I’m working on a theory applied to dating rusticated Ser Jacopo’s.
I see a pattern in the rustics made while Giancarlo was alive. On the left side there is almost always a circular pattern that would be the first marks made.
If anyone has a known Giancarlo era or postmortem rustic pipe and can confirm this is true or not on theirs I’d be most grateful.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Great pipe @LotusEater !
Yes, La fuma are actually seconds according to my pipe shop who carries them. I have several. I can find a fill in one of them. The do a good job hiding them.

Some La fuma are not the exact shame shape as their big brother models which are twice the price. I think their design changes to take into account a flaw in the material that keeps it from being a "First" Often the top of the bowl will have a different shape or the overall size will be a little smaller.

They can be had for half the price or less than their full blown versions. They all smoke the same so far as I can tell. Fully smooth Ser Jacopo firsts are crazy prices becuase they have no fills. I have a good eye and I have to look for the flaws in these. But watch it on ebay becuase sellers try to pass them off as firsts. Maybe not knowing. I dont hesitate in the least to buy one and Ive a couple on order. All mine have been well drilled.

None of my SJs are in English. Im in the EU and all my SJs were bought here though...

This La Fuma is incoming:

lafuma.jpg

Last edited:

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Great pipe @LotusEater !
Yes, La fuma are actually seconds according to my pipe shop who carries them. I have several. I can find a fill in one of them. The do a good job hiding them.

Some La fuma are not the exact shame shape as their big brother models which are twice the price. I think their design changes to take into account a flaw in the material that keeps it from being a "First" Often the top of the bowl will have a different shape or the overall size will be a little smaller.

They can be had for half the price or less than their full blown versions. They all smoke the same so far as I can tell. Fully smooth Ser Jacopo firsts are crazy prices becuase they have no fills. I have a good eye and I have to look for the flaws in these. But watch it on ebay becuase sellers try to pass them off as firsts. Maybe not knowing. I dont hesitate in the least to buy one and Ive a couple on order. All mine have been well drilled.

None of my SJs are in English. Im in the EU and all my SJs were bought here though...

This La Fuma is incoming:

View attachment 268452
@Sigmund Thanks for the information on La Fuma. I almost never come across them or I would own many more. The one you have on its way to you is a really beautiful piece.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Thanks. It annoys me that it has a fill on the top but Im a bit OCD about some things. I have a few la fuma pipes. Some its almost impossible to find the flaw but some are more obvious. They smoke equally as well as any of my regular SJs and are far less than half the price. Its only important to know when you buy becuase some folks try to get full blown SJ prices from Lafumas

Reactions: LotusEater