PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Al, I haven't been to the Annapolis Smoke Shop yet but I eager to check it out and their special blends. English No. 2? Is that their own blend? I deal mainly with Faders over by the Mall. Don, Bob, and Matt are really great to work with and they have what I think is a pretty extensive knowledge of tobaccos and pipes. I've come to really trust their word regarding my newfound hobby.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
English #2 is a blend made by the Smoke Shop. I've never been there yet, but we'll be in Annapolis the weekend of 3/2, so hoping to stop by. I usually go to the Towson Faders. I'm a big fan of their King Eider blend.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Welcome and congrats on a nice find. I think the pipe is spectacular :puffpipe:

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Thanks everyone for the cool comments. I smoked the Jaco for the first time today with some Peterson Irish Oak in celebration of International Pipe Smoking Day. Best pipe I've EVER smoked! One match, cool burn all the way and no relights. Awesome!!!

adam12

May 16, 2011
I have been very impressed with Ser Jacopo, I have 2. They are mainstays, very traditional shape and alot of fun. However, and I am being diplomatic here, their prices on eBay (and ocassionally elsewhere) are astronomical! I think the smoke you get from a Ser Jacopo is comparable to other Italian pipes, but for some reason I see them going into the stratosphere in online auctions. What gives?

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I think it's the perceived value.. the name basically. If two different products have a great name and awesome quality but one is more expensive than the other... the more expensive one will often be purchased simply due to the fact that the consumer thinks he/she is getting something of greater value. I know if I see something that is unique and expensive... I WANT IT! Fact is though, I can really see the quality difference in my SJ over my other pipes. However, my collection is still rather small... 10 pipes. I'll really be able to tell the difference as I build my collection and become more experienced as a smoker. Bottom line is I'm extremely happy to own a Ser Jacopo. It's my favorite pipe thus far and look forward to adding more SJ's.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I can really see the quality difference in my SJ over my other pipes. However, my collection is still rather small... 10 pipes. I'll really be able to tell the difference as I build my collection and become more experienced as a smoker. Bottom line is I'm extremely happy to own a Ser Jacopo. It's my favorite pipe thus far and look forward to adding more SJ's.
Really agree with your assessment of the quality difference, it is a top-tier line of Italian pipes with a traditional reputation and always a great smoke. The ones I own currently, and have owned in the past, were always favorites in my rotation. However, in the last few years (especially in the last year, it seems) I have been astounded at what they are fetching even when compared to other high-grade Italians. Evidently no recession in the pipe biz!

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
That's for sure @adam12. I think no matter how hard things get economically we'll always find a way to feed what makes us happy no matter what (almost). Back to quality, another one of my high quality pipes is my Savinelli Pipe of the year 2011. I fired it up for the first time this evening with some Frog Morton... and wow. I don't know if it's because I'm reading a lot more on the forums and learning how to use my pipe but I REALLY enjoyed that smoke. I think I'm learning to take my time and not rush the pipe...maybe because the last two pipes in the rotation are so expensive and I don't want to rush and damage them. When I first started pipe smoking a few months ago, I would tend to rush through the bowl and try to smoke every last ounce of baccy....lots of smoke too. NOT a good idea. Taking my time now... one match to light... a tamp or two and few strong draws and then no relights necessary. Smooth cool smoke 2/3 of the way down, 1/2 hour later.. and I'll empty the bowl before things go sour. Loving it man. Pipe smoking is forcing out my type B personality. And let me tell you I need it!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pipe smoking is forcing out my type B personality. And let me tell you I need it!

That is a perfect way to describe the pipe smoking experience and defines me precisely. I can never sit still for 30 minutes, let alone for an hour. It's only possible for me with my pipe.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Scored a new pipe on ebay. Hopefully will be here middle of next month. I'll be sure to report as soon as it arrives! I think I got a pretty good deal on it.
picta01.jpg

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
I would say that is an excellent addition to any collection. That's a keeper for sure.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I have to say once again that is a damn nice pipe man. The grain on that thing hurts my eyes it's so pretty. And there is something about the silver on the bowl that is unique

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
You're right on that adam12. The grain is so beautiful. By the way... I've heard mention of the word or acronym PAD when referring to acquiring pipes and so forth. What exactly is that?

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Al, I make most of my purchases locally at the Annapolis, MD Faders Tobacco and Pipe store. Great folks and very knowledgeable. I've made a few acquisitions from Ebay. Haven't been burned yet but I have a pretty good feel for things and know when it looks sketchy and when to steer clear. The old adage "if it's too good to be true, then steer clear" usually helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.