PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know. Shapes are endlessly fascinating. The traditional shapes all have recognized names, but the categories are often being mixed or made differently. Skater and streamliner aren't often seen or named, but it is interesting to see them trotted out.

I have a Johs pipe that I got as a gift and assumed it was a brandy shape because the bowl was shaped like a brandy snifter, but then I saw the invoice and the carver called it an apple, so I deferred to his artistic judgement and call it that.

I call the bowl of a Savinelli 404 yacht essentially a Dublin shape, but others see it differently.

I've seen some pipes for sale that are absolutely misnamed for shape. Some sites don't even attempt to identify shapes, even the most traditional and obvious, figuring that you'll buy what you like whatever it is called.

Learning shapes is a good exercise, even if it is not an exact art. I think it is usually fun to conjure up definitions, both for their useful aspect and for their variability.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I would absolutely buy a reverse canted pipe. It makes intuitive sense to me. It would minimize the charring on the bowl edge closest to my face.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Oh, interesting, thank you. That's quite a chin on that thing. It's a good name - reminiscent of a streamlined locomotive.
stream2.jpg

But it's not quite what I was imagining - the opening on this looks parallel to the line of the stem, and I think I was picturing having the opening at an angle facing the smoker.
@Pipeh Comet (train) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(train)