PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Ok so after a brief hiatus for work here’s another piece in the great late ‘23 Pete PAD spree that I never finished posting…..lol
First up, another from the Rua 125th anniversary, a dandy little 20s.
I like pretty much everything about this pipe, not much more can be said. Not the best blast of the ruas I’ve seen, including my particular 9s example, but plenty interesting and the shape and size of the 20s are fantastic in my opinion.
View attachment 266128View attachment 266129
Looks like a pretty dang nice blast to me. I think these and the Barleys got priority in the blast quality and the Ioras got what was left. But the Ioras were non-systems while the other 2 were systems so maybe not.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Next up a shape 305 from the 125th anniversary line in the barley finish. I’m partial to bent billiards, apples, eggs, and brandys for the most part. I enjoy pipes that feel good in hand, and for me that’s lead me to mainly those shapes. The Dublin has grown on me slowly, as I must admit I hold it a little differently, and it doesn’t nestle in my hand the way I’m used to, but as said, it is surely growing on me. These barley finish pipes are cool. I hope it continues to darken and patina with age and use!
Not a huge fan of this shape but you can't say anything bad about that pipe 😍

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
This next one is an interesting pipe to say the least. This puppy traveled all the way from Italy, and has left me perplexed in more than one way!
From the Kapries line, this pipe has an impressively symmetrical show of ring grain. It’s interesting, because it’s very different than the newer 125th anniversary pipes, in execution I mean. You can tell a slightly different technique, different media, equipment, or some factor, between the newer Peterson blasts I’ve seen; and this one.
I’m also curious as to when exactly this pipe was made, possibly pre laudisi? Or maybe the overseas Peterson are just marked differently? Photos show markings are different than current Laudisi petersons.
The stem on this pipe, especially when comparing to the new nicely executed vulcanite stems I’ve seen on Petersons, is quite bad. It’s really a shame honesty, with how nice the briar and silver is on this one. Surely doesn’t do the rest of the pipe justice. I’m hoping to get a replacement stem someway somehow.
Lastly, the silver cap has a very unique feature, in that whoever put this one together either had a decent sense of humor, or was working late on a Friday night and had allowed the thought of a proper pint at the pub or a hot date or whatever enter their brain a bit too soon, and merely made a mistake. Either way, I find it kinda cool and unique, not a negative.
(Hint- the orientation of the stamping works well for folks that enjoy the challenge of reading upside down lol!)
Overall I really like this one. The x220 is a classic or Peterson-esque shape in my eyes. Minor set back with the stem quality but I think that’s workable.

Attachments

• 673A03A9-D3E3-4500-ACE9-37EFA861A8F0.jpeg
    673A03A9-D3E3-4500-ACE9-37EFA861A8F0.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4BDC5021-8B71-4211-98B1-ACF1E3619323.jpeg
    4BDC5021-8B71-4211-98B1-ACF1E3619323.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 9435C1D6-07EB-4EF3-B60A-C9AF86479083.jpeg
    9435C1D6-07EB-4EF3-B60A-C9AF86479083.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17
  • B5B6E05E-8B6A-4A11-BC9A-C2A79C0C8A72.jpeg
    B5B6E05E-8B6A-4A11-BC9A-C2A79C0C8A72.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 16

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
This next one is an interesting pipe to say the least. This puppy traveled all the way from Italy, and has left me perplexed in more than one way!
From the Kapries line, this pipe has an impressively symmetrical show of ring grain. It’s interesting, because it’s very different than the newer 125th anniversary pipes, in execution I mean. You can tell a slightly different technique, different media, equipment, or some factor, between the newer Peterson blasts I’ve seen; and this one.
I’m also curious as to when exactly this pipe was made, possibly pre laudisi? Or maybe the overseas Peterson are just marked differently? Photos show markings are different than current Laudisi petersons.
The stem on this pipe, especially when comparing to the new nicely executed vulcanite stems I’ve seen on Petersons, is quite bad. It’s really a shame honesty, with how nice the briar and silver is on this one. Surely doesn’t do the rest of the pipe justice. I’m hoping to get a replacement stem someway somehow.
Lastly, the silver cap has a very unique feature, in that whoever put this one together either had a decent sense of humor, or was working late on a Friday night and had allowed the thought of a proper pint at the pub or a hot date or whatever enter their brain a bit too soon, and merely made a mistake. Either way, I find it kinda cool and unique, not a negative.
(Hint- the orientation of the stamping works well for folks that enjoy the challenge of reading upside down lol!)
Overall I really like this one. The x220 is a classic or Peterson-esque shape in my eyes. Minor set back with the stem quality but I think that’s workable.
I would also guess that the Kapries line was pre-Laudisi as I haven’t seen one as part of normal SP stock in the last several years.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I would also guess that the Kapries line was pre-Laudisi as I haven’t seen one as part of normal SP stock in the last several years.
The Reis of Kapries is Iwan Ries. Those were originally made especially for IRC in Chicago. Iwan Reis has a very long history with Peterson, being one of their largest and longest running retailers in the US. They have actually had more than a few Peterson lines made especially for them at their request. The most famous probably being the Dunmore System.

I think the Kapries name may have also been recycled and used again for an Italian retailer more recently.

Bits it’s always been a “retailer exclusive” line.

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
What do you Peterson fans feel would be the most quintessential Peterson pipe?
For me it’s the 314 because I think of stout billiards when I think of Petersons. I know others would say a dutch billiard like the retired 309. Here’s a thread with a bunch of opinions:

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My two Peterson Meerschaum pipes.
- Bent Billiard with Silver band.
- Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker with Silver band.

View attachment 267393View attachment 267394

View attachment 267399
View attachment 267398
View attachment 267395
View attachment 267397
Those are coloring beautifully.

Derry 106 with rustication reminiscent of a cob. Sadly the drilling is off (how does a straight billiard get drilled high?) but the rustication is attractive enough that I'll keep it.
That rustication is very cool. I haven't seen a Pete like that before