PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Did Peterson ever produce an oval chambered Opera ?
I can’t recall having seen one ever
Yes they did. And you can own one for the low low price of $300 today.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Yeah I’d love to own this but that’s a tad steep for me. I don’t know it’s value but maybe it’s worth that.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yeah I’d love to own this but that’s a tad steep for me. I don’t know it’s value but maybe it’s worth that.

Lovely condition. And rare(ish)
But like @AroEnglish, I find the price a tad steep

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I regretted selling a 69 Sterling a few years ago, and it's been a gap in my small bent billiard collection every since. I picked this one up, it's in very good shape, but the hallmarks are worn.
The seller thought:
D for 1989
I think these two are a greater possibility:
h - 1975
b - 1969
I'm leaning towards the 1975 date.
Is there anything else in the nomenclature to narrow it down?

Peterson_69_Sterling_Hallmarks (1).jpgPeterson_69_Sterling_Hallmarks (2).jpgPeterson_69_Sterling_Hallmarks (3).jpgPeterson_69_Sterling_Hallmarks (4).jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I regretted selling a 69 Sterling a few years ago, and it's been a gap in my small bent billiard collection every since. I picked this one up, it's in very good shape, but the hallmarks are worn.
The seller thought:
D for 1989
I think these two are a greater possibility:
h - 1975
b - 1969
I'm leaning towards the 1975 date.
Is there anything else in the nomenclature to narrow it down?

View attachment 274665View attachment 274666View attachment 274667View attachment 274668
After looking at it side by side with the PPN hallmark chart I think 1975 is right. The “stem” part of the b is longer than the h before hitting the curve. I think on yours the “stem” looks shorter which is why I think 1975.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Can anyone tell me how Pete pipes are shaped? Are their machines different from say Savinelli? It seems like Sav pipe of the same shape number are always exactly the same. On the other hand, Petes seem to have variety. Take the two photos below as an example. Both are 20s pipes but the angle of the shank is quite different. The top pipe is more vertical like a 3/4 bend while the bottom has a more of a 1/2 bend.

IMG_8548.jpeg
IMG_8547.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Can anyone tell me how Pete pipes are shaped? Are their machines different from say Savinelli? It seems like Sav pipe of the same shape number are always exactly the same. On the other hand, Petes seem to have variety. Take the two photos below as an example. Both are 20s pipes but the angle of the shank is quite different. The top pipe is more vertical like a 3/4 bend while the bottom has a more of a 1/2 bend.

View attachment 274770
View attachment 274771
That’s why I like the pics on the SP sites - quite a bit of difference sometimes among the stems on the same models and like the ability to choose.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Picked up a new to me 14B/POY 2022 sandblast rua. It’s been smoked, a tad more than I thought when purchasing, to be honest, but still happy with it. Had to get rid of a little cake and clean it but no big deal.
I must say this shape has always been extremely attractive to me, in the short time I’ve been interested in pipes. This is the first one I’ve ever actually handled in person, and a little into the first bowl in it I’m liking it all around.
The rua sandblasts are neat in my opinion. I have a few of them now. This one in particular is super gnarly and weird and I like it.
On the 14B shape, I almost think the smooth finishes do it more justice. At least from photos I’ve seen. It’s such a beautiful, graceful, curvy, and precise shape, the heavy blast sort of takes away from it a bit, like the true lines are slightly changed.
But anyhow, really neat pipe in a shape I’ll be keeping my eyes open for.
25505E0D-9929-4A3D-A7F7-600EC96817B5.jpeg7F099ED9-23F6-414D-99B8-204A0CF402F3.jpeg5288CBA0-64D4-4BED-A7D9-DBB60B240A3B.jpeg
And in case you’re wondering…
You’re damn right I’m smoking out the range hood exhaust fan! ! Even got the nod from my better half at -4 F hehe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After looking at it side by side with the PPN hallmark chart I think 1975 is right. The “stem” part of the b is longer than the h before hitting the curve. I think on yours the “stem” looks shorter which is why I think 1975.
I emailed the pix to Mark Irwin. He sharpened the photo and believes it to be the "B" for 1987. Looking under a loupe, it still feels like the lowercase h from 1975.

1703852030044.png
1703852067015.png

Attachments

• 1987 HM Al Jones.jpg
    1987 HM Al Jones.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 11

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Picked up a new to me 14B/POY 2022 sandblast rua. It’s been smoked, a tad more than I thought when purchasing, to be honest, but still happy with it. Had to get rid of a little cake and clean it but no big deal.
I must say this shape has always been extremely attractive to me, in the short time I’ve been interested in pipes. This is the first one I’ve ever actually handled in person, and a little into the first bowl in it I’m liking it all around.
The rua sandblasts are neat in my opinion. I have a few of them now. This one in particular is super gnarly and weird and I like it.
On the 14B shape, I almost think the smooth finishes do it more justice. At least from photos I’ve seen. It’s such a beautiful, graceful, curvy, and precise shape, the heavy blast sort of takes away from it a bit, like the true lines are slightly changed.
View attachment 274793View attachment 274794View attachment 274795
You’re damn right I’m smoking out the range hood exhaust fan! ! Even got the nod from my better half at -4 F hehe
Oh baby, where did you find this pipe?! Lovely find. I think the Rua with this shape is kind of like a classic meets modern, in a good way.

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I emailed the pix to Mark Irwin. He sharpened the photo and believes it to be the "B" for 1987. Looking under a loupe, it still feels like the lowercase h from 1975.

View attachment 274815
View attachment 274818
Ah I was comparing 1975 and 1969. I’m still sticking to 1975. The angle of the vertical piece is quite vertical. If it were 1987 I that that would be on more on an angle. Plus the letters from that set are much more delicate. I don’t think you’d get that thick looking lettering even if it was overworked.

Reactions: seanv and scloyd

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah I was comparing 1975 and 1969. I’m still sticking to 1975. The angle of the vertical piece is quite vertical. If it were 1987 I that that would be on more on an angle. Plus the letters from that set are much more delicate. I don’t think you’d get that thick looking lettering even if it was overworked.
I was thinking it was not angled enough to be the upper case B. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

View attachment 274815
View attachment 274818

Going purely on typographic components, definitely not 1987 as there is no diagonal/italic.

1975 seems like a reasonable guess, but I wonder if 1969 is a better one—my suspicion is the upper portion of the “b” got mashed down and distorted, making it look like the short “h” and the bottom of the letter looks closed, more like the “b” and not the open “h.”

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
View attachment 274793View attachment 274794View attachment 274795
Beauty! Rua is most definately my favourite contrast blast. Love the red tones.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

View attachment 274770
View attachment 274771
Since both are owned by Laudisi it’s a safe bet that the Sav “System” pipes are actually made at Peterson. Or at least frazed and mounted by Peterson.

aw34r

Lurker
Dec 9, 2023
Does SP not provide additional pictures on request or does that depend on the CS agent? Is it common for deluxe models to have pits (not sure what the correct terminology is)? Thanks!