PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Not my Peterson, but this has one of the most beautiful grain presentations I've seen. I really, really pondered getting it just to hold it in hand and study it.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Not my Peterson, but this has one of the most beautiful grain presentations I've seen. I really, really pondered getting it just to hold it in hand and study it.

I was looking at that one and almost went after it, but I had some other pipe buying obligations so I let it go!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

When I saw that it was only 'Mint', and not 'VERY MINT', I lost interest.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
My first pre-republic, thanks to @jaingorenard. You rock Joe!

Cleaned up enough for now, may get a deeper/shinier approach later.
Eire-era “Made in England” 363
View attachment 306844

Nice - that's a very early one. I have a 363 'Made in Ireland' that's a touch newer, probably late 1930's, as it has a Shamrock beneath the faux-hallmarks and my hound's neck is shorter :). Yours must be early 1930's?

You re-bent your stem, right?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Nice - that's a very early one. I have a 363 'Made in Ireland' that's a touch newer, probably late 1930's, as it has a Shamrock beneath the faux-hallmarks and my hound's neck is shorter :). Yours must be early 1930's?

You re-bent your stem, right?
All I know is what I’ve seen about the circle “Made in England” being Erie/Ireland era, but the still being stamped as a System 3 putting it Eire era. Any input regarding that would be appreciated.

The stem was at that bend angle, but had a wonky twist to it. I just cleaned stem, sanded and hand-polished the oxidation, then took the twist out and kept the same bend. I noticed it doesn’t match catalog, but figured a previous owner put it where he liked it (and I’ll probably keep it that way-it’ll be a smoker, not a collector’s piece during my tenure as its curator). The darkening of the sides and the wear leads me to believe it was a working man’s pipe, which is great because that’s what it is now!
IMG_0295.jpegIMG_0296.jpegIMG_0298.jpeg
Sorry for crappy pics, best I could get last night.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
All I know is what I’ve seen about the circle “Made in England” being Erie/Ireland era, but the still being stamped as a System 3 putting it Eire era. Any input regarding that would be appreciated.

The stem was at that bend angle, but had a wonky twist to it. I just cleaned stem, sanded and hand-polished the oxidation, then took the twist out and kept the same bend. I noticed it doesn’t match catalog, but figured a previous owner put it where he liked it (and I’ll probably keep it that way-it’ll be a smoker, not a collector’s piece during my tenure as its curator). The darkening of the sides and the wear leads me to believe it was a working man’s pipe, which is great because that’s what it is now!

Sorry for crappy pics, best I could get last night.
'Made in England' just means it was made in England before they shut down ~1962. Mine is also a '3' quality. What puts the earliest date on yours is the long-neck hound, unless the band was grabbed from a box of older stock. If your stem is original I would expect it to have a conical built-in tenon extension, as mine does. Actually, that makes mine a little older than late 1930's - maybe mid-30's?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
'Made in England' just means it was made in England before they shut down ~1962. Mine is also a '3' quality. What puts the earliest date on yours is the long-neck hound, unless the band was grabbed from a box of older stock. If your stem is original I would expect it to have a conical built-in tenon extension, as mine does. Actually, that makes mine a little older than late 1930's - maybe mid-30's?
I’ve just come across many sources citing the England COM stamp of circular design to correlate in most cases to the Eire timeframe with some going into the Ireland days (PPN, pipedia, Pascia…).
Then PPN cites that after around ‘40 the “3” as a grade went to “system standard”.
I’m thinking ‘38-‘40ish from that.

I haven’t learned anything yet of the differing hound marks, I’m barely hanging onto the grass outside the rabbit hole I’ve fallen into😆

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I’ve just come across many sources citing the England COM stamp of circular design to correlate in most cases to the Eire timeframe with some going into the Ireland days (PPN, pipedia, Pascia…).
Then PPN cites that after around ‘40 the “3” as a grade went to “system standard”.
I’m thinking ‘38-‘40ish from that.

I haven’t learned anything yet of the differing hound marks, I’m barely hanging onto the grass outside the rabbit hole I’ve fallen into😆
There are certainly contradictions to all the 'rules' we see on the internet. The 'Made in Ireland' stamp has been used ever since it was created, yet because firm date ranges are listed all over the internet, people date their pipes based solely on such information. I have a couple with Eire-era date hallmarks and even some from the 1970's. I have seen exceptions to the 'England in circle' rule as well. This is why I mentioned the long-neck hound and the conical tenon extension. These clues all have to be considered together.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Sure. They made silver bands for that pipe that have the 2020 date hallmark. I have other silver bands that pre-date model introductions by a year;e.g-SH Baskerville.
Yeah its a not a big deal, its just funny to see a pipe with Pipe of the Year 2021 stamped on the briar with a 2020 hallmark. I reached out to Peterson to have a the 2021 cap put on the pipe, but I thought this is unique so I dont plan to have it corrected.

Reactions: revnatorade

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yeah its a not a big deal, its just funny to see a pipe with Pipe of the Year 2021 stamped on the briar with a 2020 hallmark. I reached out to Peterson to have a the 2021 cap put on the pipe, but I thought this is unique so I dont plan to have it corrected.
'Unique' means that it's the only one. You sound like an ebay seller :). Just messing with you - I might be the only person on the planet who still remembers what that word means.
For a first year model, I think having a silver band that is one year previous, might increase the value. My Baskerville has a 1988 hallmark. But...the book could be wrong about the 1989 introduction.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
The 606 seemed to be more prevalent. I 'think' I have a 'Natural' 'Irish Free State' 605. I'll have to locate the pipe, but here are a couple of pics. I have it marked in my spreadsheet as a restored 605, but only have these 'before' pics, and the '5' might be a '6'.

KTjgFSs.jpeg

nEq1e4F.jpeg
Looks like a 605 to me!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are my two favorite 313's.

pre-1963 Larrigan 'Special' (bottom pipe)
1930's System '3'

The 'Special'-designated pipes that I've seen (I have three) all have phenomenal and interesting grain. I have another that's all paisley. Irwin's book assumption is that they were special runs done by Paddy Larrigan. I give creedence to a lot of these 'assumptions' due to the interviews with Larrigan, where some of these questions certainly came up.

ayvjMQw.jpeg

U1jm6lW.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Here are my two favorite 313's.

pre-1963 Larrigan 'Special' (bottom pipe)
1930's System '3'

The 'Special'-designated pipes that I've seen (I have three) all have phenomenal and interesting grain. I have another that's all paisley. Irwin's book assumption is that they were special runs done by Paddy Larrigan. I give creedence to a lot of these 'assumptions' due to the interviews with Larrigan, where some of these questions certainly came up.

ayvjMQw.jpeg

U1jm6lW.jpeg
Oh my goodness that bottom 313 is just 🤩

Reactions: Hillcrest