PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here’s an unbelievable picture. A 1904 Pete Meer with 7 stems, two 1909 Peterson Reissues, a 313 with NAP and Spigot stems.

After @RustiePyles CPG did some amazing stem work he boxed them up and sent them UPS. They were delivered 90 miles away from my house. After a few days, I drove to the Post Office they were delivered to.

They denied receiving them and blamed UPS tracking. UPS blamed USPS.

The value of the pipes is not for the faint of heart.

I was just about to give up and realize the worlds only 1904 Pete Meer with 7 stems was lost to the janitor.

Well, today, without any tracking updates, they were delivered by USPS to my house.

Funny how that works. Anyway. Here’s the contents of the box
Wow, I'm sure you were pretty upset, but a good outcome. Shame on you UPS/USPS for putting folks thru this!

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Wow, I'm sure you were pretty upset, but a good outcome. Shame on you UPS/USPS for putting folks thru this!
I understand 1s frustration when 1s package doesn't arrive on time or gets straight up lost in the void. As a delivery guy I'm proud to say that we don't do this stuff on purpose nor do we want to but as humans in a flawed world we too can be flawed. So plz refrain from beating up the usps guy for not delivering your box on time. Thank you

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just picked up this mid to late 40s 362 (3rd grade 312). It's in good condition and should clean up to be a nice pipe. This seems smaller than later examples of the 312 that I've had (although I don't have them anymore so can't compare). It came in a later box, but does anyone know if the paper sleeve is original to it?View attachment 256265
Nice find, that bag does help date. What is the COM stamp?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
'Made in Ireland' in a circle - 1945-47 ish? It came in a 60s box for a completely different Peterson, but I wondered if the paper bag were original to this pipe.
Peterson London was in business in 40's and the 60's so it's hard to say if the paper sock is original to box or pipe. I'd guess it's probably original to the box. What pipe was the box for? I don't suspect that the paper sock would have have been kept with the pipe, it's far more likely it would have been left in the box.

Reactions: Nevaditude

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Peterson London was in business in 40's and the 60's so it's hard to say if the paper sock is original to box or pipe. I'd guess it's probably original to the box. What pipe was the box for? I don't suspect that the paper sock would have have been kept with the pipe, it's far more likely it would have been left in the box.
Agreed, it seems unlikely. I just thought the difference in fonts and different phrasing (Peterson rather than Peterson's) might mean something. The paper sleeve is also much more yellowed than the paper guarantee in the box. Also, I can imagine these low grade pipes coming with paper sleeves but I would have thought a Premier would have a proper sock. The box is for a premier sandblast 309IMG20231026134012.jpg