PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe some of you veterans can help me. I am using a standard pipe cleaner. I pinch between my thumb an index finger on the top end. I gently push it down the stem and into the chamber and move it back and forth several times. I then turn it around and place the other end in and do the same. I seem to be getting a strange smell and dark stains on my thumb and index finger. What am I doing wrong? Does this happen to everyone?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I see you experienced smokers having success "folding and stuffing" these. That just isn't working for me at this point. When I try it doesn't light or stay lit worth crap, I get a restricted draw, etc. I'll revisit F&S later in my pipe cleaner smoking career -- for now I'm very satisfied to rub these out.

I've experimented with various ways of rubbing them out and found that what works best for me is cube cutting them with wire snips (however if I'm pressed for time I've also had success just shaving them with my wife's leg razor).

I get reasonably good flavor -- notes of Fisher Price toys melting atop the baseboard heater, oven mitts smoldering on stovetop coils, etc.