PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A lot of posts on here urge members to post pictures of their pipes be they meerschaum, briar or anything between the two. I have just noticed that from previous posts there lurk on this forum members ever devoted to reducing their 'Carbon Foot Print' who wash and recycle their pipe cleaners. In essence they toss a bunch of used Dills in with the socks and Y fronts for that Sunday morning wash cycle. My question is simply this, not unreasonable to my mind, what becomes of these cherished and much sanitized pipe cleaners when the owner passes on? Does anyone here own or admit to owning 'used' Estate Pipe Cleaners? Are there collectors of such things?
You never know what floats someone's boat
There was a show called "Collectors" on the ABC some years back
Someone came on with JARS of his navel fluff :eek:
rotf

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does anyone know what kind of pipe cleaners my grandpa used? I remember them being white, covered in some sort of fuzz, and about 6 inches long. He always kept them
In the drawer of the small side table where he kept his pipe rack. They came in packages of some sort that were either blue, white, green, red, or black. And it was either paper or cardstock.
We need to know the year your grandfather left this earthly vale, and whether he was right handed or left. Also, was he allergic to sap or Algerian briar? Answer to these questions will narrow it down to one or two dozen suppliers.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
We need to know the year your grandfather left this earthly vale, and whether he was right handed or left. Also, was he allergic to sap or Algerian briar? Answer to these questions will narrow it down to one or two dozen suppliers.
I’m not sure what year he passed away, he and my grandmother both died before my father was born in a horrible time travel accident. So it was sometime between 1903-1943. I’m pretty sure he was ambidextrous and I’m unaware of his allergies but prolonged chroniton exposure would have meant that only Grecian briar would have worked for him.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Personally, I don't even use pipe cleaners—I rest my pipes for 3 months for them to be dry, it's why I own 91.3125 pipes. When I do need to do deeper cleaning, I braid twine from bunny fur, and add my own beard hair trimmings for bristle scrubbing (I keep my facial hair to scruff on I think a half guard, and given my hair is very coarse, it's as stiff as regular bristle cleaners, but all natural).

Last edited: