PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
These are some lovely pipes. I, unfortunately, was getting into pipe clubs when Bill Ashton totally fell off the wagon. He made our club pipes that year and they were awful. They ended shipping them back to Bill to get bunch of things corrected.

Reactions: Mr_houston

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Weird, I've never contributed to this thread. We actually have two Ashton threads, I closed the 2nd, and will try to combine them.

My current Ashton crop, Taylor only.

1999 Old Church XX finish, that came with a saddle stem. Now sporting a fantastic and more proper tapered stem by the master, George Dibos.

Ashton_Old_Church_XX_Gallery.JPG

My longest owned pipe (I'm sure you've noted I'm a bit fickle). A 1998 XX Pebble Grain, a 50th birthday gift from my wife, and I believe my first estate pipe. This one had a draft hole that was a mess, fixed with a needle file.

Ashton_Pebble_Grain_2X_Rhodesian_1998_Gallery.JPG

My only XXX size, a 1998 Pebble Grain, found on Mkelaw's site. I called it the Cobra shape.

Ashton_Pebble_Grain-99_Gallery.JPG

My oldest Ashton, a 1985 Sovereign XX. Bill at the top of his game here. I found this at a shop up in Albany.

Ashton_Sovereign_XX-85-Gallery.JPG

Some past Taylors:

Ashton_Cherrywood_1998_Gallery.JPGAshton_Pebble_Grain_XX-1999_Gallery.JPGAshton_Sovereign_XX_26_Gallery.JPGAshton_XX_OC_93_Gallery.JPG

Attachments

• Asthon_Pebble_Grain_00_Gallery.JPG
    Asthon_Pebble_Grain_00_Gallery.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 3

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bought this 1998 Pebble Grain from John Eels (RIP) at the 1st Richmond show I attended (1st pipe show ever as well). He alleged that he made it together with Taylor, on a mentoring trip he made to Bills shop. The bowl was drilled impossibly small. I had George take it out to 7/8" I believe. I just never too to it, it was far larger than was my preference.

Asthon_Pebble_Grain_00_Gallery.JPG

DrBoBowman

Lurker
Jul 26, 2023
Kansas City area
I am new to this forum and I am asking for help identifying a pipe.

I had the opportunity two weeks ago to buy a small collection of 15 pipes from an estate sale. I purchased them as a lot without having the opportunity to examine them closely but recognizing several as fine vintage pipes.

When I returned home, one left me speechless.

I believe this is one of the legendary 31 pipes crafted by Ashton in 1983.

The number 3 to the far right should indicate that it was crafted during Ashton’s first year of production in 1983. I believe this is further supported by the block lettering used for the Ashton brand and the words “Made in London England.”

I am hoping that the Ashton experts can help me verify this.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2772.jpeg
    IMG_2772.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: francli

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I believe this is one of the legendary 31 pipes crafted by Ashton in 1983.

The number 3 to the far right should indicate that it was crafted during Ashton’s first year of production in 1983. I believe this is further supported by the block lettering used for the Ashton brand and the words “Made in London England.”

I am hoping that the Ashton experts can help me verify this.
I’m definitely NOT an expert
But Pipedia says you are right in your assumption :sher:
You lucky dawg 🤸‍♂️
Great score 👍
What other treasure(s) did you unearth ?
Enjoy puffy

Reactions: PaulRVA

DrBoBowman

Lurker
Jul 26, 2023
Kansas City area
I’m definitely NOT an expert
But Pipedia says you are right in your assumption :sher:
You lucky dawg 🤸‍♂️
Great score 👍
What other treasure(s) did you unearth ?
Enjoy puffy
Thank you!
This one is size XXX.

The other pipes are a wide assortment; I am still sorting them.
There are at least 3 more little treasures - a nice Ferndown Bark Antique English Briar, a Dunhill Shell that I am trying to date, and a nice Castello Sea Rock Briar.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you!
This one is size XXX.

The other pipes are a wide assortment; I am still sorting them.
There are at least 3 more little treasures - a nice Ferndown Bark Antique English Briar, a Dunhill Shell that I am trying to date, and a nice Castello Sea Rock Briar.
Sounds like the previous owner knew his pipes and liked quality