Show us Your Pipe/Tobacco/Accessory Trays!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What do you use for drying/cutting/preparing your tobacco?

I have a magnetic tray, that folds in half for....transportation? I guess. But I'm looking for something different.

Mine has a spot for a jar, filters, pipe cleaners, etc. But It's by a company that's for "Discreet smoking".

Going to need something a little classier.

Let me see what you use!

PXL_20231119_155016605.MP.jpgPXL_20231119_155028145.MP.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Here is my tobacco caddy. I would get this again (and only have some slight modification ideas, but am not handy to make one myself).

Natual bark in front and back. Cutting and drying area with gap to slide all crumbs and ribbon out. Large circle is for jars, with the small for a cup full of pipe cleaners. Small circle between the teo holds a lighter upright (not typicallyused). Small slots have no function (but I'm open to ideas). Slot in back is for standing up a phone or iPad.

20220129_132120.jpg

H

HRPufnstuf

My storage, atop the bookshelf.

IMG_0134.JPG

My cutting table, between my bookshelf and armchair.

IMG_0135.JPG

My desk.

IMG_0136.JPG

And my seat-warmer, Goober. Variably on the armchair or computer chair but always present.

IMG_0133.JPG

All in my office/den. Welcome to the warmest room in my home! Certainly the most comfortable.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Here is my tobacco caddy. I would get this again (and only have some slight modification ideas, but am not handy to make one myself).

Natual bark in front and back. Cutting and drying area with gap to slide all crumbs and ribbon out. Large circle is for jars, with the small for a cup full of pipe cleaners. Small circle between the teo holds a lighter upright (not typicallyused). Small slots have no function (but I'm open to ideas). Slot in back is for standing up a phone or iPad.

View attachment 262742
At the very least I need to cut a gap in mine like that for dumping extra back.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
At the very least I need to cut a gap in mine like that for dumping extra back.
I looked at several caddies on the forum and online to get ideas for organizing, having multiple purposes, and to be able to move the set up to the deck in warmer weather. Combining the cutting board with other features is clutch.

Once I saw the gap, I knew it was a "necessary" feature (which prevented me from getting a leather tray). The functionality is ideal and I would not want a tray without the gap for my purposes.

Reactions: Scottmi

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I looked at several caddies on the forum and online to get ideas for organizing, having multiple purposes, and to be able to move the set up to the deck in warmer weather. Combining the cutting board with other features is clutch.

Once I saw the gap, I knew it was a "necessary" feature (which prevented me from getting a leather tray). The functionality is ideal and I would not want a tray without the gap for my purposes.
When I was a garage smoker, I lived being able to just put the magnetic lid on my tray and move around with it.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don't have anything fancy, I might make something if I ever get around to finishing this pipe stand.

The pipe cleaners just sit in their packages on the table along with leather tobacco mat. I think I want to get a jar to store pipe cleaners like what barbers use for combs, keep the dust off but pull up and just grab without having to reach in. Something like this (link to Amazon). Not this one exactly, just pulled one at random, but something like that maybe. That or a jar that has a tall lid so that when the lid is off, cleaners stick out above the rim for easier grabbing.

That's really the only thing, I don't really dry tobacco, so the basic mat is enough, though a wood cutting board would be nice on occasion when I have plug tobacco (but I usually try to spring for flake versions if available, like how Jacknife and SPC PPSR are both available in flake form).

I don't want some kind of station though, nowhere to put one.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't have anything fancy, I might make something if I ever get around to finishing this pipe stand.

The pipe cleaners just sit in their packages on the table along with leather tobacco mat. I think I want to get a jar to store pipe cleaners like what barbers use for combs, keep the dust off but pull up and just grab without having to reach in. Something like this (link to Amazon). Not this one exactly, just pulled one at random, but something like that maybe. That or a jar that has a tall lid so that when the lid is off, cleaners stick out above the rim for easier grabbing.

That's really the only thing, I don't really dry tobacco, so the basic mat is enough, though a wood cutting board would be nice on occasion when I have plug tobacco (but I usually try to spring for flake versions if available, like how Jacknife and SPC PPSR are both available in flake form).

I don't want some kind of station though, nowhere to put one.
This is an old picture, but the pipe cleaners are still in the same empty unlabeled tin. I really need an upgrade in pipe cleaners as well.

PXL_20210929_185831260.jpg

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I have a tidy and attractive (to me) set up for my pipes, tobacco, cleaners, etc., but as for a preparation surface? I never felt the need for one.

I often pack over my dining room table, and simply brush the remains back into the jar.

If I'm cutting a plug, I just do it on the mason jar lid turned upside down.

On the rare occasion that it's a pricey/rare tobacco (Esoteria / McC / etc.) I'll do it on a paper plate, so that I can funnel it back into the jar without risk of missing a valuable speck.