Show us Your Pipe/Tobacco/Accessory Trays!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have a tidy and attractive (to me) set up for my pipes, tobacco, cleaners, etc., but as for a preparation surface? I never felt the need for one.

I often pack over my dining room table, and simply brush the remains back into the jar.

If I'm cutting a plug, I just do it on the mason jar lid turned upside down.

On the rare occasion that it's a pricey/rare tobacco (Esoteria / McC / etc.) I'll do it on a paper plate, so that I can funnel it back into the jar without risk of missing a valuable speck.
I can respect this, probably because it’s totally my style, almost to a tee. But looking at some of those fancy wooden trays, I’m kind of envious.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have the same smoking stand as yours
Awesome! This one was my great grandfather's. The door on the right, doesn't have the upper section of the pipe holders. I need to make a new one for it.

And mine needs a new veneer on top.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Jeff, as an avid cook, I need to know more about that world's smallest meat cleaver. For hummingbird's tongues? I love it.

Jacques, growing up with Cantonese cooking, I feel most used to using a cleaver for food prep and thought I may as well do so with tobacco, too. I have a fondness for the look of Damascus steel and just thought it would be fun to have a neat looking mini cleaver dedicated to cutting my plug tobacco.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Jacques, growing up with Cantonese cooking, I feel most used to using a cleaver for food prep and thought I may as well do so with tobacco, too. I have a fondness for the look of Damascus steel and just thought it would be fun to have a neat looking mini cleaver dedicated to cutting my plug tobacco.
Ok not to completely derail this thread but what are your favorite dishes? I miss being able to get good yung chow fried rice and fried pork intestines.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Ok not to completely derail this thread but what are your favorite dishes? I miss being able to get good yung chow fried rice and fried pork intestines.

People seem to enjoy my pepper steak (as much as I do). I usually use salt, minced fresh garlic, flank steak, red and green peppers, Vidalia onion, dried black beans, and a combo of oyster and soy sauce. I personally love beef with bitter melon. I used to hang out in the kitchen with my father when he prepared the big Sunday family meals, which were always multi-coursed; I was the only one in the family that learned cooking from him. A number of years ago we celebrated Chinese New Year with my preparing a ten course dinner for twenty people using my father’s recipes. It went over very well and we did it several times in the following years. The food prep always takes longer than the cooking (or eating) and as the cook, you never get to sit with everyone because you’re busy cooking.

Years ago, I reverse engineered a dish my late, ex-girlfriend loved at a local restaurant and modified it to my taste. It uses winter melon, dried mushrooms, dried scallops, dried shrimp, onions, and oyster sauce. It’s kind of stew-like and friends enjoy that when I make it.

I also love tripe, but rarely cook it because it lacks the wide appeal of other dishes; I will always order tripe soup for myself at a Polish restaurant if they have it.

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
I also love tripe, but rarely cook it because it lacks the wide appeal of other dishes; I will always order tripe soup for myself at a Polish restaurant if they have it.

Ever try menudo? Back in my Tucson days, we'd go down to South Tucson after gigs at 3:00 AM and have a bowl. Aside from its other merits, it makes for a good hangover preventative. Or cure, if you are unfortunate enough not to be able to get good Mexican food in the middle of the night.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Ever try menudo? Back in my Tucson days, we'd go down to South Tucson after gigs at 3:00 AM and have a bowl. Aside from its other merits, it makes for a good hangover preventative. Or cure, if you are unfortunate enough not to be able to get good Mexican food in the middle of the night.

I have, but I may prefer mondongo—I suppose it depends on how it’s made—each restaurant or cook is going to prepare it differently. Your mention of menudo reminds me of my years in art school, but not because of the food—there was a small store on 2nd Avenue in the 20s near the School of Visual Arts in New York that specialized in collectibles depicting the boy band, Menudo.

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
I have, but I may prefer mondongo—I suppose it depends on how it’s made—each restaurant or cook is going to prepare it differently. Your mention of menudo reminds me of my years in art school, but not because of the food—there was a small store on 2nd Avenue in the 20s near the School of Visual Arts in New York that specialized in collectibles depicting the boy band, Menudo.

Always thought that was a good name for the band as the music was tripe.

My wife's an SVA alum. I lived near by on 21st between 2nd & 3rd.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
What do you use for drying/cutting/preparing your tobacco?

I have a magnetic tray, that folds in half for....transportation? I guess. But I'm looking for something different.

Mine has a spot for a jar, filters, pipe cleaners, etc. But It's by a company that's for "Discreet smoking".

Going to need something a little classier.

Let me see what you use!

View attachment 262716View attachment 262717

I have the same one you have but I use it to roll (tobacco) cigarettes IMG_6095.jpeg

Plenty classy enough for the likes of me; it replaced the lid of a sneaker box...which was also classy enough for the likes of me.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Always thought that was a good name for the band as the music was tripe.

My wife's an SVA alum. I lived near by on 21st between 2nd & 3rd.

What years did she attend? I was at SVA from 1981–1985. I had drawing classes in the 21st Building on the corner of 2nd Avenue. I used to get snacks at Smiler’s deli on the corner all the time.

This was the Menudo store, Menuditis, a Menudo-themed store and photo studio by owners Bolivar and Brunilda Arellano that opened in Manhattan, on December 10, 1983 in New York City. (Photo by Al Pereira/Getty Images/Michael Ochs Archives).

new-york-new-york-december-10-menuditis-a-menudo-themed-store-and-photo-studio-by-owners.jpg