PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
My Sienna 207 straight apple. My second purchase from my local tobacco store after I came back to the hobby. Takes 9mm filter. It has best feeling in the hand.
This is a funny pipe. No matter how dirty and abused it is, it always smokes nicely with no tongue bites. It just works. My first choice for a quick morning smoke with my coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_171233.jpg
    IMG_20231229_171233.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231229_171218.jpg
    IMG_20231229_171218.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 9

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Sienna 207 straight apple. My second purchase from my local tobacco store after I came back to the hobby. Takes 9mm filter. It has best feeling in the hand.
This is a funny pipe. No matter how dirty and abused it is, it always smokes nicely with no tongue bites. It just works. My first choice for a quick morning smoke with my coffee.
My Rossi 8208, the brother to the Savinelli 208, which is couzins to the 207, 8207 is one of my favorite pipes.

And yours is exactly how a pipe should look.

Reactions: bersekero

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I’ve been on a massive Peterson kick lately, for the most part. Something else here or there, but the last several months has been very Peterson heavy in my ongoing PAD spree…..
This was a nice change of pace for me. I’ve had a couple lower to mid level savinelli pipes, and of those couple moved them on/traded/gifted them away for one reason or another. I felt it was time to get another savinelli and have the Italians fairly represented in the pipe rack lol.
What drew me to this particular pipe was the classic savinelli shape 122. Very easy on the eyes and a straight forward smoker. I’d had one before so it was familiar.
The punto oro pipes are nice and clean in design, finish, and execution. Overall from what I’ve seen they’re a decent value for what you pay.
I must say, this example is very well made, super straight drilling and the mortise tenon fit is possibly the tightest and best fitting of any pipe in my rack currently, both factory and handmade.
As said before, I’m attracted to the simple and clean execution of the pipe all around, nice blast, interesting stain and the slightest little contrast and color with the brass dot. Comes in a snazzy box too, which I didn’t realize until it showed up.
The grain orientation on this one is kinda cool. Maybe I just don’t pay attention well enough, but I haven’t seen many like this. The growth rings are perpendicular to the plane of the bowl, which is what I always think of in a sandblasted pipe.
I like the uniqueness of this orientation, and it’s quite symmetrical and pleasing, to my eye at least.
18172705-0C97-4EAC-9391-78FA47654786.jpegE5D30566-5B32-4DAE-8F69-22F0CBAE7BFE.jpegB063E59C-9386-47AA-9832-1C43C3164F66.jpegBF7EE730-F720-4AC7-B752-8DB4FFDCBD22.jpeg5059CFEA-FC5C-4819-B441-52C4A0C055A2.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve been on a massive Peterson kick lately, for the most part. Something else here or there, but the last several months has been very Peterson heavy in my ongoing PAD spree…..
This was a nice change of pace for me. I’ve had a couple lower to mid level savinelli pipes, and of those couple moved them on/traded/gifted them away for one reason or another. I felt it was time to get another savinelli and have the Italians fairly represented in the pipe rack lol.
What drew me to this particular pipe was the classic savinelli shape 122. Very easy on the eyes and a straight forward smoker. I’d had one before so it was familiar.
The punto oro pipes are nice and clean in design, finish, and execution. Overall from what I’ve seen they’re a decent value for what you pay.
I must say, this example is very well made, super straight drilling and the mortise tenon fit is possibly the tightest and best fitting of any pipe in my rack currently, both factory and handmade.
As said before, I’m attracted to the simple and clean execution of the pipe all around, nice blast, interesting stain and the slightest little contrast and color with the brass dot. Comes in a snazzy box too, which I didn’t realize until it showed up.
The grain orientation on this one is kinda cool. Maybe I just don’t pay attention well enough, but I haven’t seen many like this. The growth rings are perpendicular to the plane of the bowl, which is what I always think of in a sandblasted pipe.
I like the uniqueness of this orientation, and it’s quite symmetrical and pleasing, to my eye at least.
View attachment 278110View attachment 278111View attachment 278112View attachment 278113View attachment 278114
Seems like your tutelage under @alaskanpiper is paying off. You’re picking up some real stunners between this and those Ashtons.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanpiper

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Seems like your tutelage under @alaskanpiper is paying off. You’re picking up some real stunners between this and those Ashtons.
Couldn’t agree more! Tutelage is exactly right. Franks been a hell of a mentor in the pipe and tobacco realm. A perfect balance of sharing experience and things he’s learned along the way, while not pushing his personal taste or opinion too much. I’m sure he’s gotten a little kick out of observing my trajectory.
It’s neat to have a buddy close by into the same stuff, makes it fun.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Couldn’t agree more! Tutelage is exactly right. Franks been a hell of a mentor in the pipe and tobacco realm. A perfect balance of sharing experience and things he’s learned along the way, while not pushing his personal taste or opinion too much. I’m sure he’s gotten a little kick out of observing my trajectory.
It’s neat to have a buddy close by into the same stuff, makes it fun.
Yeah I’ve messaged him a few times to ask his thoughts on pipes I’ve considered buying and have appreciated his eye. Now I just need to figure out how to be faster on the draw 🔫

• Haha
Reactions: Seeleybc1

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Due to my son traveling out of town for Christmas and then picking up a “bug” while out, it was not until yesterday that he was able to come here for us to celebrate ours. He surprised me with a beautiful Savinelli Tortuga model 305 which is almost too pretty to smoke……. NOT!

There are two things it has that are new to me. One, is a cap or cover which is made of the same tortoise shell as the stem. Also, it has been “pre-carbonized” which is new for me. Supposedly, it makes it easier to break in.

I finally braved the 18 degree weather to get out and take the first smoke. It was great!!

IMG_3047.jpgIMG_3048.jpgIMG_3053.jpg

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I do not yet own a Savinelli pipe. A situation I intend to remedy at some point.
I have often thought of getting one of the Bing's models and there are many others that appeal to me.
I'm confident the right one will come along at some point.

kbussell

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Highlands Ranch, CO
Gorgeous pipe. Is that one of the "pre-charred" bowls that Savinelli offers? If so, how did you like the first experience with it?
Hello,
Yes... I have purchased several different Savinellis' over the past month (7) and they still need to be smoked-in for a good taste.
I also like to use a dab of honey in a new bowl to sweeten it to my liking... that's just my personal ritual and not everyone likes the honey dab.
Cheers

Reactions: Choatecav

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Hello,
Yes... I have purchased several different Savinellis' over the past month (7) and they still need to be smoked-in for a good taste.
I also like to use a dab of honey in a new bowl to sweeten it to my liking... that's just my personal ritual and not everyone likes the honey dab.
Cheers
Thanks.
I got a new Savinelli from my son, for Christmas and really love it. It has the pre-charred bowl and it was my first to deal with. I like smoking it fine and I have heard of the "honey" treatment and planned on trying it on the new pipe. But, I decided not to try it with the pre-charred bowl.

Reactions: kbussell