PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I gifted my father a smoking jacket for his birthday once. He gifted it back to me sometime after he had to stop smoking cigars. I never smoked cigars enough, or in a manner that would merit donning a jacket (usually I was out and about, not at home). But now that I've taken up pipe smoking, I've thought of that jacket again and hope to pick it up soon and try it out.

Also, stylistically, there seems to be a big difference between a jacket and a robe, yet when it comes to smoking both things are called "smoking jackets"?
By some, for sure. Anything that drapes well below the waist is not a jacket in most parlance.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
By some, for sure. Anything that drapes well below the waist is not a jacket in most parlance.

+1

Additionally, a men's tailored lounge-wear garment of length is properly called a Gown - as in a men's silk dressing gown - whereas, a Robe is likely of the similar length, but, being specifically made of a water absorbent material - hence the difference in terminology. - Sherm "Nomenclature" Natman

Last edited:

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Here's a nice one, quite a selection here:

1680240696480.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wear smoking flip flops and nothing else...
try and get that image out of your head now puffy
I didn't let in get in my head!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Done puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
By coincidence I happen to have a terry cloth bath robe, that I could substitute as a smoking jacket...Would that work?....It has 2 pockets!! rotf

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Burn spots! Almost every outdoor jacket I have has a tiny hole or two or three, all of synthetic fiber. None of my wool jackets are holey, so if I got a smoking jacket, I'd make sure it was wool. Or is there a better material (that's not synthetic) for a jacket?
Leather. An old, beat-up bomber jacket was my best smoking jacket ever. The synthetics are ember bait.

The Doctor

Lurker
Feb 21, 2023
Maryland
Over the winter I became a fan of the House Cardigan...just a cheap, warm, non-descript button down sweater that never sees the outside.

Yes, it makes me look like I belong as an old guy in a black and white film.

No, I don't care.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Over the winter I became a fan of the House Cardigan...just a cheap, warm, non-descript button down sweater that never sees the outside.

No, I don't care.
I’ve got a few of those. When I want to feel dressed up. Lol.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I would wear a smoking jacket for my after dinner pipe except I live in an apartment, smoke outdoors and live in the tropics... ...so for most of the year it's shorts and t-shirt.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio

No, I don't care.
I have one that never leaves the house and I can be found in it most of the winter. Now I’m thinking about a smoking jacket lol.

Reactions: jpmcwjr