PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Here in Chester County, PA, I spend a buck or two in my smoking pod. As winter arrives, I put the soft top up, get my pipe, tobacco, and accessories together, and pull it out of its permanent berth in the garage (where I keep it on a battery tender). I pack and light while sitting in the driveway with the heater going, warm and smoky.

I began this practice in 1997 in Connecticut. My Jeep at that time -- a '95 YJ for those who care -- was parked permanently outside and was my year-round daily driver. I replaced it with the one below in 2000 (bought it new). So, for going on 24 years, this has served me well enough. BTW, anything this old will lack that "new car smell," so I'm not to worried about odors. I'll let my kids deal with that after I'm dead.

View attachment 253830
Haha, mine supplies the music while I’m sitting on a folding camp chair in the heated garage!

Mar 1, 2014
I have one of those to use in the summer to protect from mosquitos.
Mosquitos in the summer are absolutely unrelenting and keep me stuck indoors more than anything else.
Pipesmoking in the snow is amazing and doesn't need shelter, on a sunny January day you can plop down in any snowdrift and take a nap with the pipe, spreading fire and ashes all over the ground to your heart's content.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would think the zippers would be the most vulnerable. However, I will primarily be using the zipper on the from so if it holds up, I should be good. If it lasts for 50 smokes, I got my money's worth as far as I'm concerned. It's night, in the mid 40's, I've got on a sweatshirt and sitting on the electric blanket. I had to turn the blanket down.

image.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Every so often, I think about setting up my tent to block the wind while I smoke outside. I can’t help but think it would prompt a “Babe, I think you have a problem” from the wife, though. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: Stoaks
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I used to rock a 2 person tent in my garage a few years ago!

View attachment 253705

I've never been more comfortable smoking!
Your post reminded me of something I intended to share with the class.

A neighbor is wheelchair bound. She converted her entire garage into a sitting room with carpet, entertainment center, couches, and the like. The neighbor added a nice screened doorwall to garage opening, allowing natural light and fresh air into the sitting room.

I thought it was a genius "renovation" and was sad when a new neighbor took it down (since the previous owner moved into a care facility).

If I recall, @hoosierpipeguy did something similar with a bay in the garage of his Indiana home. I just think it's slick, but probably couldn't pull it off myself.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

A neighbor is wheelchair bound. She converted her entire garage into a sitting room with carpet, entertainment center, couches, and the like. The neighbor added a nice screened doorwall to garage opening, allowing natural light and fresh air into the sitting room.

I thought it was a genius "renovation" and was sad when a new neighbor took it down (since the previous owner moved into a care facility).

If I recall, @hoosierpipeguy did something similar with a bay in the garage of his Indian home. I just think it's slick, but probably couldn't pull it off myself.
That's awesome. I would love to do something like that some day!

Or convert my small shed to a smoking room maybe.....hmmmmm

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

If I recall, @hoosierpipeguy did something similar with a bay in the garage of his Indiana home. I just think it's slick, but probably couldn't pull it off myself.
I did at our previous home. Closed off the single bay of a 3 car garage with drywall, added heat and air conditioner, large flat screen, 2 recliners. Made for a comfortable man cave.