PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If a fault is know about should the manufacturer inform customers, or do they act unilaterally? Who pays the cost if an airline grounds all of its planes prior to any accident based on the possibility of an incident? If a fault is known about, should it be the manufacturer that provides advice on the best course of action?

I hoped to engage in a debate about the possibilites of liabilities in an interesting field, however this thread was not started to ascertain or debate the true cause of an air incident, but rather to whinge about how people could have the temerity to question the quality of 'murican' engineering. Perhaps America doesn't make the safest planes.

OP, to try to draw a comparison between today's aviation industry, regulatory standards, engineering testing and media reporting, to those following a crash almost a century ago, is like comparing apples to giraffes. They are worlds apart.

For a start, as well as perhaps less sensationalist reporting in 1931, there were less old male pipe smokers keen to tell us about Fokkers poor safety record on an Internet forum. It's hypocritical to post your feelings here after complaining about the publics use of modern technology to film and report such events.
Here's the plane involved in the 1931 crash you mentioned, along with a typical camera of the era

View attachment 281270
View attachment 281271

OP......'The press is waiting to report it.'

As are you, it seems.

You may consider Boeing to be hard done by here, however the aviation industry is held to high standards, and rightfully so. To quote the low number of aviation deaths in US, is to ignore safety records globally. Boeing don't fare overly well in that regard, although I am acutely aware, living 1/2 an hours drive from Lockerbie that not accidents are Boeings fault.

PS. Being a contributer to a few, mainly uk based forums, I have to say sometimes this place has me shaking my head in utter disbelief. As a Scot I find it an interesting take on a slice of American viewpoints on society. I perhaps naively felt this thread was about an interest in aviation safety. I have never been so dumbfounded at how an ignorant description of communism, or an uneducated viewpoint on modern 'wokery' can be segued into any topic, as has been shown previously in this thread.

Where Knute Rockne went down is an American interstate where five thousand pound SUVs travel at ninety miles an hour in the Flint Hills region of Kansas where five and six hundred pound cattle are grazed on the prairie until they are hauled to the feedlots and finished and slaughtered and the customers bitch, whine, moan and complain hamburger is two dollars a pound.

There is an exit at the Bazaar cattle pens off I-35

Xxxx

Check out the scenic overlook that allows travelers an opportunity to pull over and get a better view of the Flint Hills. Visitors can see not only the cattle grazing in the summer, but also a herd of antelope that was re-established in the area, plus a variety of plants and animals like coyotes and prairie chickens that inhabit the Tallgrass Prairie.

IMG_6868.jpeg

Xxxxx

Three thousand miles across and two thousand miles high, the nation that invented atom bombs with slide rules and put a dozen men on the moon and took them home again using captured German rocket scientists.,,,

Has six million miles of paved roads where two hundred million light cars and trucks share the road with two million semi tractor trailer trucks while forty five thousand commercial planes each day fly overhead and 38,000 locomotives pull a million and a half rail cars over a hundred and fifty thousand miles of track in a nation that is three million square miles.

Plus we pump 13 million barrels of American oil a day to fuel all those contraptions.

And in the little Scottish American town of Humansville Missouri about thirty kids study where Bazaar Kansas is located where Knute Rockne went down, in the seventh grade, and each one has all the hot American food they can eat and all the cold Missouri milk they can drink each morning and noon, courtesy of the taxpayers.

Our school band marches to Days of Glory, an old Scottish bagpipe air.

And America, doesn’t make all the world’s commercial airplanes, or cars, or trucks, or semis.

Just all the Boeings, Cadillacs, Corvettes, Suburbans, Diesel Rams, Kenworths, Jeeps and Harleys.

America is great because our stuff works.

Reactions: Buzz Saw