SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Love me some Sailing with Christopher Cross which never fails to sail me someplace that feels like walking barefoot on a secluded beach with a pair of flat front khakis rolled up Prufrock style while polaroids of my life fall out of the sky and form a mosaic of bitter sweet livin' before disappearing into the sea...

I have sooooooo many.... I am at a loss as to where to start.

Happy Old Man GIF by Wisconsin Badgers - Find & Share on GIPHY

Yea... I was thinking something similar. I'm not really much of a Elton listener but I don't think he fills the criteria (personally) but it is a highly subjective topic anyways.
Not being an Elton John fan, I think it's rather cheesey. It's just my job five days a week... And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...

Jan 27, 2020
Not being an Elton John fan, I think it's rather cheesey. It's just my job five days a week... And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...

Yea, I feel that. I mean... he is singing about a "rocket man". It's a tough call. I think I'll sit on the sofa and contemplate it for the remainder of the day.

I never realized that Elton didn't write any of his lyrics. I recently heard an interview with his long term lyricist who has a book out or something.

Yea, I feel that. I mean... he is singing about a "rocket man". It's a tough call. I think I'll sit on the sofa and contemplate it for the remainder of the day.

I never realized that Elton didn't write any of his lyrics. I recently heard an interview with his long term lyricist who has a book out or something.
The music industry is full of "dirty little secrets." Up until the early 80's there is a chance that we may not being hearing the musicians listed on the label or in the band when we listen to the record. It is really hard to write good music, and many times the band members were delivery boys that were just dragged in off the streets and showed a few licks to join a garage band, just before a label signed them. Even today, studios will keep musicians on hand to record over band members. My cousin is in Muscle shoals and he is the actual drummer on almost all bands that record there. He just got in the Rock and Roll hall of fame a few years ago. These musicians usually don't get any recognition, but he does draw a percentage.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The music industry is full of "dirty little secrets." Up until the early 80's there is a chance that we may not being hearing the musicians listed on the label or in the band when we listen to the record. It is really hard to write good music, and many times the band members were delivery boys that were just dragged in off the streets and showed a few licks to join a garage band, just before a label signed them. Even today, studios will keep musicians on hand to record over band members. My cousin is in Muscle shoals and he is the actual drummer on almost all bands that record there. He just got in the Rock and Roll hall of fame a few years ago. These musicians usually don't get any recognition, but he does draw a percentage.
The Swampers were more than mere studio musicians, they were legends in their own right. I assume your cousin is Roger Hawkins? One the greatest rhythm sections of all time!

Jan 27, 2020
Most of Jimmy Buffet’s songs from that era. He can be cheesy but I live his style and attitude.

Yes! I love the Buffet now that I'm older. Some girl who I use to carpool to middle school with would play him every morning and it drove me nuts at the time.

His cover of Pacing the Cage sounds so much like the original though I have a hard time distinguishing them.

Reactions: JOHN72 and yanoJL