PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Cheesy, but it takes me back: Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks
As a kid with limited understanding of the lyrics and meaning, that song always made me sad.

Riding in the car, when I would hear the line: "Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die" I would yell to my dad in the front seat "ugghh, can we change the station please!?"

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I spent the Summer of ’76 in New Jersey getting to know my oldest brother, whom I had only learned about five years earlier at a cousin’s wedding.

My father at the wedding: “This is your brother, Paul.”
The three brothers I grew up with and me: “Huh?“

I was thirteen in 1976. I hung out at Paul’s Chinese/Columbian fusion restaurant, Los Chinitos, in Union City during the day, and headed back to his apartment at night near Journal Square, where our aunt and uncle had a Chinese restaurant at 777 Newark Avenue. “Afternoon Delight” by Starland Vocal Band was ubiquitous and unavoidable—it could be heard on every radio in nearly every car throughout the summer. I have fond memories of that summer: reading the Richie Rich comics that Paul enjoyed; eating plain steamed buns covered with condensed milk; devouring sacks of White Castle Belly Bombers; learning multiple techniques for killing flies at the restaurant using flyswatters, newspapers, playing cards, and rubber bands; I also practiced using nunchaku. That cheesy song is forever linked to that summer and I still love it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
+1000 on “Afternon Delight”, but I don’t think it’s cheesy, haha.

For pure cheesy-ness - Austin Roberts’ “Rocky” takes the cake for me, but I can’t stand it.

Too many 70s songs tug at my heartstrings!

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I spent the Summer of ’76 in New Jersey getting to know my oldest brother, whom I had only learned about five years earlier at a cousin’s wedding.

My father at the wedding: “This is your brother, Paul.”
The three brothers I grew up with and me: “Huh?“

I was thirteen in 1976. I hung out at Paul’s Chinese/Columbian fusion restaurant, Los Chinitos, in Union City during the day, and headed back to his apartment at night near Journal Square, where our aunt and uncle had a Chinese restaurant at 777 Newark Avenue. “Afternoon Delight” by Starland Vocal Band was ubiquitous and unavoidable—it could be heard on every radio in nearly every car throughout the summer. I have fond memories of that summer: reading the Richie Rich comics that Paul enjoyed; eating plain steamed buns covered with condensed milk; devouring sacks of White Castle Belly Bombers; learning multiple techniques for killing flies at the restaurant using flyswatters, newspapers, playing cards, and rubber bands; I also practiced using nunchaku. That cheesy song is forever linked to that summer and I still love it.

I was on my first tour through the Navy during the summer of ‘76. You couldn’t go anywhere without hearing it. To add to it, my wife looked like the Asian chick when she was that age.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey