PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
It’s a good English blend, however, once every few years, Gawith offers a limited version of Squadron Leader containing Perique which is excellent If you can get your hands on it. I haven’t seen it lately, though.
I thought that they only did that once, in collaboration with smoking pipes.com. Definitely hope they do it again sometime, would love to try it.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I am not a fan of Squadron Leader. Neither was I a fan of petersons EMP. I found them both a bit sharp and 'cigarettey'. I much prefer SG Skiff Mix. Has latakia but apparently more balkan forward. I find Skiff Mix a bit more creamy and sweet. Tastes a bit more refined to my pallete.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I am not a fan of Squadron Leader. Neither was I a fan of petersons EMP. I found them both a bit sharp and 'cigarettey'. I much prefer SG Skiff Mix. Has latakia but apparently more balkan forward. I find Skiff Mix a bit more creamy and sweet. Tastes a bit more refined to my pallete.
you would probably appreciate Ashton's Consummate Gentleman if you like Skiff, I think it's the Maryland leaf that ties them together and CG might be easier to get when SM is not in ready supply...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Who makes the Ashton-branded blends? STG? I've liked every one that I've tried, although Consummate Gentleman isn't one of them. I'll have to order a tin.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I like it. The comp seems to be Early Morning Pipe, but I feel like Squadron Leader has a little more oomph.

I like SL better than Father Dempsey which I think is another good one.

If the tins are sold out, the bags are often available. But I do think SL is the most available of the Samuel Gawith tobaccos at least in my estimation

Gonna have to try to get my mitts on some Skiff now. Thanks, you guys are always encouraging me :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: tobakenist

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I like it. The comp seems to be Early Morning Pipe, but I feel like Squadron Leader has a little more oomph.

I like SL better than Father Dempsey which I think is another good one.

If the tins are sold out, the bags are often available. But I do think SL is the most available of the Samuel Gawith tobaccos at least in my estimation

Gonna have to try to get my mitts on some Skiff now. Thanks, you guys are always encouraging me :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I would say Skiff is closer to EMP and Squadron is closer to Standard Mixture but with a touch of sauce on both the SG offerings. They are all pretty great. If you haven't had Commonwealth it's a great Lat Bomb

Reactions: coys

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Yeah, I would say Skiff is closer to EMP and Squadron is closer to Standard Mixture but with a touch of sauce on both the SG offerings. They are all pretty great. If you haven't had Commonwealth it's a great Lat Bomb

Thanks!

I keep thinking about getting a couple of Commonwealth or Perfection just to try, but I'm already in mortal danger if my tin collection ever topples over... hard to justify adding still more selections to my 'favorites' :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: vosBghos

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I have a tin of this at the back of the cupboard. Has been there for ages, since before I knew to jar tobacco up. Be like tinder now I'm sure. Been meaning to give it another go for a while now though, will have a burn of it tomorra.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A member sent me most of a tin of Squadron Leader special edition with Perique and I've found myself smoking a lot of it. I've never been partial to Virginia blends in the summer in particular, but this summer, this has really hit the spot, with a rich sturdy flavor nicely complemented by the Perique in a supporting role. This from an ardent burley devotee.

I can't predict someone else's reaction to it, but my experience has been unfailingly pleasant. See how you like it, and maybe let us know.

Reactions: tobakenist