PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
What would be the ideal compartmentalized box for storing your pipes in? I'm not planning on building another pipe rack anytime soon. I think I'd rather store the overflow in boxes. Any suggestions (with links) would be appreciated!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
What would be the ideal compartmentalized box for storing your pipes in? I'm not planning on building another pipe rack anytime soon. I think I'd rather store the overflow in boxes. Any suggestions (with links) would be appreciated!
Interesting!

The ones I store I just use the shallower, oblong Tupperware plastic containers and use pipe bags to protect the pipes - kind of as covering - I leave the pipes out of the bags.

Edit: Rubbermaid 8.5 cup

IMG_3637.jpeg

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I seem to remember a member once mentioning some manner of compartmentalized jeweller's boxes. I guess I'm looking for something a little nicer than plastic boxes. Something that already has some kind of soft interior coating. I don't know. I'd know it if I saw it. The compartments would need to be at least 6 inches to store most pipes.

Reactions: RobNYC
I don't see myself keeping a box organized with as often as I am rotating out my pipes. Is this for pipes that you don't intend to smoke? If not, then I can tell you that out of site will make all of the pipes you put into a box disappear from your mind.
I never intended for the drawer in my smoking room to be a dead end for pipes, but it became so when I pushed a few off into it. If I don't see the pipe, I totally forget I have it. So, I preface this with, I don't think as box would be the best way to store a pipe that is in use.... but... Making something out of cardboard is easy easy. Just look at the dividers used in wine bottle boxes. They are just slot into slots. You could make a box and then make dividers.

Reactions: Scottmi

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I don't see myself keeping a box organized with as often as I am rotating out my pipes. Is this for pipes that you don't intend to smoke? If not, then I can tell you that out of site will make all of the pipes you put into a box disappear from your mind.
I never intended for the drawer in my smoking room to be a dead end for pipes, but it became so when I pushed a few off into it. If I don't see the pipe, I totally forget I have it. So, I preface this with, I don't think as box would be the best way to store a pipe that is in use.... but... Making something out of cardboard is easy easy. Just look at the dividers used in wine bottle boxes. They are just slot into slots. You could make a box and then make dividers.
I appreciate the reply. I'm specifically trying to avoid having to make something. I have other more important projects on the go right now. As far as the out of sight-out-of-mind issue, I'll take my chances. I probably won't forget to smoke my Asteriou or Piersels because they're in a box. Now if I threw 20 or 30 pipes in a drawer, I agree, some of them would probably forget to smoke me.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
The one I bought holds 18. There's one that holds 24 as well, but I have a 12-pipe rack, and a 6-pipe stand and I'm NOT BUYING ANYMORE PIPES, :ROFLMAO: so I should be all set for storage with room for 36 total. I think I'm at around 28 briars at this stage of the journey.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The one I bought holds 18. There's one that holds 24 as well, but I have a 12-pipe rack, and a 6-pipe stand and I'm NOT BUYING ANYMORE PIPES, :ROFLMAO: so I should be all set for storage with room for 36 total. I think I'm at around 28 briars at this stage of the journey.
You made the right choice. And got me thinking about one now.
1000003172.jpg
1000003173.jpg
Didn't work. But I swear looking through the lid glass even now, still looks like one would fit.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
The bulk of my collection is stored in cases that are specifically designed for storing pipes, like this one:
View attachment 276546
That looks great @sablebrush52, but I assume no one makes anything like that anymore. A cursory search of the interwebs turns up nada, but I think the sunglasses case I ordered is going to work well.🤞

For anyone who didn't click the link above, here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 22.42.08 copy.jpg