PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That looks great @sablebrush52, but I assume no one makes anything like that anymore. A cursory search of the interwebs turns up nada, but I think the sunglasses case I ordered is going to work well.🤞

For anyone who didn't click the link above, here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
View attachment 276550
They are still being made and turn up from time to time. The sunglasses case looks like it would work very well provided that one’s pipes will fit
The nice thing about these pipe cases is that they will accommodate a wide range of sizes.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Yes. I think your's was the post I had seen back in January of this year, but I couldn't remember what kind of boxes those were or who had posted it. @RobNYC was quicker on the draw, but I'll give you partial credit for chiming in twelve and a half hours after the OP. Thanks for playing! :ROFLMAO:

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yes. I think your's was the post I had seen back in January of this year, but I couldn't remember what kind of boxes those were or who had posted it. @RobNYC was quicker on the draw, but I'll give you partial credit for chiming in twelve and a half hours after the OP. Thanks for playing! :ROFLMAO:

LOL

Sure, I guess I’ll take partial credit, but don’t blame me for not warning you with that second link.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yeah, but then I would have missed this epic line in the 2nd thread::
And I believe the other famous phrase is “I can quit anytime I want.”

• Haha
Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
LOL

Sure, I guess I’ll take partial credit, but don’t blame me for not warning you with that second link.
😱
Vulcanite down below, acrylic up top?
I only have two acrylic stems, one on a meer and one on a cob. Otherwise it's strictly vulcanite for me. Can't stand the clicky feel of plastic on my teeth or chunky bits. I've seen the odd acrylic stem on a Ser Jacopo that looks thin enough that I might consider it, but it's unlikely I'll ever buy another briar with an acrylic stem. I've sold off every one I previously owned.

I think I'll probably rotate the pipes between the box and my 12 pipe rack. 🤷‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: didimauw

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
When you get it all set up, posts some pics of this with your pipes in it.
...received it a couple days ago. I thought I had ordered the 18-slot box which I posted above, but in fact I ordered the 16-slotter, apparently in the midst of a brain-fog. The 18-slot box cost more than twice as much as the 16, so my logic was intact, if not my memory.

Anyhoo...
Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 01.49.27.png
It works for me perfectly. I don't love the fact that it has a glass top on it, but it doesn't really matter, because my pipes are in the basement against the North wall, so there's no direct sunlight. Otherwise, I'd probably block the inside of the lid with some black paper or felt, or just cover the topmost pipes to protect them better. Easy peasy.
IMG_4049.jpegThe bottom drawer is a removable tray. The whole thing is solid enough, and obviously cheap (at under 50$). It's made from synthetic materials so it will be done off-gassing by 2035, and it smells faintly like Elmer's glue at the moment; but the smell isn't strong, and my pipes get rotated. I'm certainly not concerned about any off-smells transferring to my pipes. A handmade oak box would be better, obviously, but this will do for now. A wholly worthwhile purchase.
IMG_4058.jpeg
Pipes much longer than about 6.25" need to be broken down, but strategically double stacked, the case could fit 32+ easily. Mind you, I have a lot of small pipes, so YMMV. The Sandblasted Peterson Strand (on the right, second from the bottom, in the first pic below) is the chunkiest pipe I own.
IMG_4061.jpeg
IMG_4062.jpeg
My one long churchwarden is the only pipe that doesn't fit, even if I break it down.
IMG_4063.jpeg
I've been reorganising my part of the basement for the past 13 years. 😬 So once I get the cabinet back on the wall:
IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_4054.jpeg
...I'll have more than enough room for my COMPLETE collection...

...PAD be damned!

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Nice and I would cover it. Daylight is just not your friend when it comes to vulcanite...even indirect. You can find or make something cool...maybe a a cool printout

Perhaps the famous This is not a Pipe image or a collage using photos of old tobacco tins...if you are a little handy with photoshop. Endless possiblities. Cool case.

Reactions: Winnipeger