Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Looks good to me. After every bowl, I like to bend a pipe cleaner in half and use the bent end to brush out all the ash and loose unburnt tobacco that was stuck in the chamber. That ensures the cake you build will be dense.

Reactions: ThePiperBadik

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You only need 1mm thickness...

I always wipe my chambers out with a napkin/paper towel after smoking, so the inside of the chamber walls are clean, with a nice black carbon layer.

No need to always keep a pipe lit, also depending on the complexity of the blend, to much fire/heat destroys it.

So puff slowly, and don’t let the pipe get hot, only slightly warm to the touch, and there should not be any worries then for burnout, unless it’s bad briar.

Also, after smoking, if you use a paper towel and wipe it out, you can also use a little drop of water on your finger, and run it around inside, this will help to smooth out the layer and you can rub it this way, keeping it thin, as long as you only have a thin carbon layer in the chamber to begin with.

The water also helps when it’s moist, to pick out bits of tobacco, if any stuck inside.

Enjoy the pipe... ❤️

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePiperBadik

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I spent the first three years taking everything I learned on the forum as gospel. I've spent the next 20 unlearning most of it. Cake and burnout are two of the preoccupations of those still learning. We are trying to be careful. Yet the prior posts mostly say relax and just smoke the pipe.