PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just as a side thought. A easy way to prove this theory either right or wrong is to get 2 corn cobs. One the country gentlemen with a deep bowl (or the general ) and the other get the Morgan. Try both with the same tobacco and see.
Liking this for the experiment angle! You must experiment!

Reactions: jb235

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I don't like a smoke to last for more than 30 to 40 minutes -- I don't know why, it's just me -- so my taller bowls rarely get packed all the way.

But on the rare occasions that I do pack a taller bowl all the way, and have a longer smoke, I don't notice any improvement. On the contrary, the last third of the bowl sometimes turns south, if I do this.

I see some of you saying that you get the best flavor towards the bottom. Huh. I feel that I get the best flavor around the middle.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I like small narrow chambered pipes and get more flavour out of them, especially for English blends. YMMV
Very interesting! Many people tend to say that wider bowls are better for English blends (narrow for Virginia), or at least that's what I've read. I haven't smoked enough to notice a discernable difference.

How narrow do you like your English pipes l?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Very interesting! Many people tend to say that wider bowls are better for English blends (narrow for Virginia), or at least that's what I've read. I haven't smoked enough to notice a discernable difference.

How narrow do you like your English pipes l?
Thinking about it further, I prefer smaller/narrower pipes for most tobaccos, not just Englishes. I have a pipes that are as narrow as ½ inch, but most are a bit wider than that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 2 large group 6-ODA sized pipes. One is a Rad Davis Billiard.

The other is a Brian Ruthenberg Caliper Grade Dublin.

I smoke 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed in each as a first of the day smoke and really enjoy the longer smoke.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wut?

If something tastes better or worse to YOU, that's all that matters.

No meaningful agreement can be reached by a group of smokers, but that's irrelevant.
Wut?

The beginning of the post was too generalized to have a conclusive answer and the point that pipe smokers are too argumentative to agree on much of anything.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wut?

The beginning of the post was too generalized to have a conclusive answer and the point that pipe smokers are too argumentative to agree on much of anything.

It wasn't general at all. It was a specific experiment recommended to anyone who was reading the thread. A reader is an individual.

No "vote taking" or similar was mentioned, and no need to agree was expressed or implied.

Your compulsion (need? drive?) to disagree with everything you encounter is starting to affect your reading comprehension, I think.

:

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 5.24.49 PM.png

Reactions: yanoJL and jiminy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Deeper bowl is better smoke? Not really. A bowl that is too deep allows an excess to harsh tars to build up in the bottom so the pipe starts to smoke worse the further down you go. I like to keep mine to about an inch or so. puffy

• Love
Reactions: SBC