PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
The recent post about Keene's Chophouse and the responses about Sparks Steakhouse brought to mind a moment from my childhood. When I was 8 or so I went with my father to dinner at another well known NYC steakhouse called Gallagher's. My dad was a newspaper columnist at the time and brought me over to meet a very well dressed man who was dining alone. I remember that I was impressed with his shiny cufflinks. He shook my hand and patted me on the shoulder and was very friendly. When we went back to our table my dad told me that the nice man was the head of the Mafia. Indeed , he was Frank Costello the Capo Di Tutti Capo of La Cosa Nostra.
I wonder if other members have had interaction with the famous or the infamous...

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I met Fred Rogers. He was not an actor; he was exactly the same person that you saw on Mister Rogers Neighborhood. He really did love everybody regardless of who they were.

I also met Clyde W. Tombaugh, the discoverer of Pluto. One of the sharpest minds I've ever met.
Years ago in the early aughts there was a website called Rotten. Which was accurately named. If they did a bio on a person they'd talk about their seedier slimey side. The only one that glowed straight through was Fred Rogers. That stuck with me for some reason.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I used to work the summer festivals down at Penn's Landing in Philly when I was in high school and College. We had all sorts of people performing or signing autographs, but some of the most notable I remember meeting were Bo Diddley, Kevin Bacon, Capt Lou Albano, Tommy MacDonald (who I got to hang out with most of the day at his autograph booth...such a cool guy), Chuck Bednarik, Harry Kalas (also hung out with most of the day at his booth, another great...man I miss him), most of the Broad Street Bullies, who are all down to earth and would easily sit back, drink a beer and shoot the shit with you.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Robert Devall, little Cajun joint at the end of the road, stopped midday and he was there filming in Lafayette, owner introduced me, he asked if I had horses as he liked to ride, told him no but a friend of mine did and I could call him, said he would appreciate it. Called my friend and he said have him come down to the farm and he and I can ride. Gave him directions, very nice man. Found out he had a nice time.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I ran into Kirk Gibson at BW3 in East Lansing. I've also cooked for several governors, MSU basketball coach Tom Izzo, persoal injury attorney Sam Bernstein, renowned chef Jeremiah Towers, singer Erykah Badu, and former Red Wing Vladimir Konstantinov.

My favorite encounter: Closed up working the kitchen at a college bar's restaurant (Harper's in East Lansing) on Super Bowl weekend when Detroit hosted the event. I'm sitting at the bar (not in uniform) finishing up a drink after last call when a large, when a well dressed gentleman with nice cuff links and a shirt print having Ethiopian money (so he days) pulls up next to me. I'm smoking a Black and Mild and bum him one at his request.

We talk about nothing in particular and I think he's bluffing when telling me he will be watching the big game at Puffy Combs' (a major hip hop mogul) party. Regardless, we chat it up some more and he orders two lemon drops 30 minutes after the serving cut off. I find it weird the bartender obliges.

The drinks are served. Instead of taking it like a tequila shot, he puts the sugar in the vodka and squeezes in the lemon juice before drinking. Odd, but I follow suit and actually preferred this method. Dropping a big pile of money on the bar, he shakes my hand and leaves. As he hits the door, the bartender yells "thank you, Mr. Duckett!" and my jaw drops.

I just spent about 30 minutes talking about nothing in particular with MSU local legend T.J. Duckett.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
To many to list, I was in the US Navy Presidential Honor Guard Unit for 2.5 years, coincidentally enough @trouttimes step son was also in that unit with me. I met many notable dignitaries and heads of state and military in that time. It was part and parcel of the job.

I also worked at House of Blues at Downtown Disney as an electrician for the stage department in the early 00’s. I met lots of musicians, but only one stands out. Jim Heath (Reverend Horton Heat). In general I don’t pay any more attention to celebrities than I do anyone else, they are just people trying to do their jobs, as was I. It wasn’t in anyone’s best interest to bother them.

Before they went on stage, Jim walked up to me a started chatting with me, as friendly as could be. I told him I was a big RHH fan and was glad to be working the show and was headed out to the floor since I was finished. We talked shop and guitars for a bit and he started to go out on stage, he asked if I’d like to come backstage afterwards. I said I’d love to, I went back and had a couple of beers with band and chatted for a while.

Fast forward about three years, I’m walking around the Deep Ellum neighborhood of Dallas where Jim Lives and often busks. I see him on a corner playing for a very large crowd and wander over to watch. He finishes up his song and tells the crowd he’s gonna take quick break. He puts his guitar down walks straight up to me and grabs my hand and starts shaking it, he says “hey sparky how’s it going, you’re a long way from Florida.” I was shocked, he didn’t just think he recognized me from somewhere, he knew exactly who I was and where he had met me once three years ago.

I do have ongoing friendships with a few notable modern SciFi/Fantasy writers and their families due to some things my wife has been involved in over the years but nothing I really care to discuss publicly.