PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I sat next to Colin Powell at a lunch, who was very nice. I've also met John Kerry and Terry Bradshaw. I"ve also dealt with a few real estate billionaires in my career (no, not Donald) but they don't count.

Reactions: Egg Shen

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I’ve nodded at a few well known athletes, musicians and celebrities but the only encounter that lasted past a moment was with Lemmy at the MKE eagles club. He was playing the main room upstairs and he came downstairs for a drink. I was there to see Merl and Melvin and we talked about Jerry who had died recently and about touring life on the road. Probably spent 5 minutes casually chatting with him.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Not long after I graduated in the 1970s I did a few “jobs” for a guy who was always courteous and polite.
Paid on the dot from a thick wad of bills. And always with a generous tip (as in”keep the change, buddy”)
He offered me work on a more permanent basis, but I politely declined.

A couple of years later there was front page newspaper coverage of a funeral - photos of prominent bookmakers, “colourful identities” and “persons of interest to the Police”
It was the funeral of THE Mr Big of Sydney crime
And yes, it was my generous and courteous gentleman.

Mobsters were a different lot back in the days

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
coming home from S Asia for a short visit I was in the Houston airport, a older gentleman was getting his shoes shined, a very young boy was playing, saw my uniform and started a convstation, I played and talked to him while the gentleman had his shoes shined, finushed he asked about my deployment, told him what I could as everything there was hush hush, he asked if I wanted a shine, told him it was too expensive, he turned to the shine man an eldery black man, called him by name and said give that young man a special, then gave him 20$ and got his grandson by the hand and left. The old shine man asked You know who that was, No I said, he told me That’s the Houston Oilers owner.