PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Title edited for caps and brevity. -jpm ----> Rule 9!

For those who do not want to read a long post, I summarize: in the United States everyone dreams of European tobaccos, in Europe everyone wants American tobaccos.

I am European, and more precisely Swiss. Switzerland is considered by many to be "the land of wonders" (as far as pipe tobaccos are concerned) by those who live in neighboring countries. This is because here we have a very large variety of choices at fair prices. There are European and American produced tobaccos, limited editions, and there are also some micro blenders that make excellent blends.

I live on the border with Italy, a country where there is much less choice and very high prices. Many Italian pipe smokers cross the border regularly to find their favorite tobaccos at a fair price.
In Europe there are several big brands, which we all know and appreciate, easily available almost everywhere. Other small quality manufacturers such as Germain, HU and Motzek that are difficult to obtain outside their country of production (also because it is not always possible to ship tobacco to some european countries).

Yet, speaking to several longtime aficionados, some of them renowned pipemakers, other world-class slow smoking champions, and even a fairly well-known blender, they believe that the best tobaccos and blends available today are those produced in the United States.

This is to tell you how on the other side of the ocean we live the reverse situation.
Here not all American products are readily available and in some countries when they are found they are sold at ridiculous prices: the cans of C&D and Pease, the only ones very popular in Europe, cost twice as much in Switzerland as in the United States (11$ / 22Chf) while in Italy they get to four times their price !!! (11$ / 45 €)

I often read on this forum and on other channels that some European tobaccos are very hyped and difficult to obtain in the states, on the contrary we are looking for American products that are difficult to obtain and in some cases overpay them.

As for me, I love some European tobaccos, luckily for me, at hand and at a good price (and therefore I also stock up for the future) but I admit I envy those who can buy Pease blends for $11 and who have easy access to limited editions (sometimes even European products made exclusively for the American market), and to blends made by famous tobacconists available only at home (of which I have only heard of as Peretti, Wilke, Watch City ...).

Perhaps the old saying of the title of this post has some truth, but for us lovers of the brown leaf it is certainly a very distinct reality.

What do you think about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I decided to take the risk and order some stuff from smokingpipes.com with the current discount. Mostly small amounts of tobak from C&D. I've heard a lot of praise of this brand here. So let's see if curiosity kills the cat or the bank account. My total order came to $165 (145€) with shipping. About 24oz worth plus an MM cob. We'll see how much customs charges me... Pray to the smoking gods for me.

I agree with the OP about the colour of the grass. I should really just be happy that I can walk into Pfeifen Huber whenever I want and pick up some of their fine leaf. I think because something is hard to get makes you want it even more. Even if it's not really any better.

Happy puffing lads.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lot of truth to this, I think.
As I have mentioned before, I refuse to get into the unobtainium game. I am not going to order from across the pond to get whatever is hot on the forum this week. Limited editions? Nope. Got $50 to spend on some leaf? I can always add a few tins of old faves to the cellar for aging, or maybe try a few blends from somebody I haven't explored yet.
YMMV puffy

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I agree with the sentiment. I see tobacco from Europe that I would love to try but is not readily available here in the US. Being a miser with my money I have a tendency to order bulk so the price is less per oz. I believe both markets have much to offer when it comes to fine tobacco blends so will be content for now to stick with the blends offered here.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I enjoyed reading your post with my morning Jo. Of course, your correct about the grass being greener. It's a natural tendency for a lot of people. I'm fortunate I guess because I can get all the blends I really like here in the States. While there are some I'd love to sample from Europe, I've never looked into trying to obtain any. From an American's perspective a lot of things about Europe "The Old Country" is attractive to me. I think pipes and "old" go together like peas and carrots! Hopefully I'll have a chance to make another trip across the pond before I leave this ball. I'd definitely make a point of trying some blends not available here.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Cornell & Diehl, GL Pease, and McClelland make up 75-80% of my cellar and I'm in the US. Something rarely available of lacking in availability always pushed me away.
I’m the same when it comes to availability. Not that I don’t enjoy the novel smoke when I can get it, but it’s not way up on my priority list to regularly try and acquire that which regularly eludes me.

Plus, I live in Kentucky. Central Kentucky at that. If tobaccopocalypse comes, well, I suppose @Chasing Embers and I could find a few fields of burley to last our lifetimes. And if our EVs run out of charge, we could commandeer a couple thoroughbreds and ride shirtless and bareback to a cave near the river where we could enjoy our smoke and control trade routes. And dang, this took an adventurous turn.

Anyhoo, enjoy that mental picture of us riding topless on a couple $6-million unbridled horses.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've enjoyed many blends from the UK over the years, mainly credited to nostalgia, and attempts to replicate my grandfathers pipe. St Bruno still stirs my soul, but after fifty years of pipe smoking I'm finding that the straight forward blending of Jeremy Reeves, et al,at C&D captures the essence of quality leaf, fairly unadulterated. American tobacco, aside from aromatics, can be enjoyed in it's simplicity and lack of too much processing.
Having said that, it would be better if we could all live in a more libertarian world where governments would leave us alone to share our leaf freely across all borders. I won't go any further due to forum rules, but thanks,@john Porter, for this post.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for a very interesting and thoughtful post. The grass is greener...familiarity breeds contempt...these are major players in this fantasy that the good stuff is where you can't get at it, one which I long ago dubbed the Psychopathy Of Scarcity. It shows up in the US every time some form of unobtainium hits the market, a sort of mindless desperate scramble, followed by orgasmic joy from the "victors" and thunderous opprobrium from the "losers".

In my experience, good, mediocre, and crap blends are made everywhere. The style of good, mediocre and crap varies from region to region, and exploring those differing styles can be a lot of fun, even if the blends aren't memorable.

I just buy what I like to smoke, wherever it comes from. There are brands whose house style I prefer, like Germain's, McClelland, Watch City, HU, and the GL Pease Blends. There are special releases by Sutliff, Watch City and KBV that are remarkable.

On the other hand, Motzek Strang was unique, like nothing dreamed of, much less produced, in the US. Strang had a very pronounced character which you either loved or loathed. There was nothing anonymous about it like much of the US and European product.

Motzek, when still run by the Motzeks, produced some remarkable blends. The resurrection of Strang is a huge disappointment for me due to its lack of complexity. It's more like 30% Strang. The current owner of Motzek had been trained in the making of Strang by the Motzeks and he chose not to follow it.

And until recently I was a huge fan of HU. But K&K decided to swap out components and the results I did not like. So, HU is off the list of what I buy.

Virginias and their variants are what I like to smoke, so a blender who uses Virginias that I like is who I'll stock.

Bottom line is there's good stuff made everywhere, and crap made everywhere. Sturgeon's Law is a constant.