PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
As a child I used to be an avid baseball fan. But after witnessing the ‘77 World Series, I shut off the TV and never watched sports again. At that tender young age I reasoned out that anything beyond that would be anticlimactic. Of course I watched other sports if the talent was there, like Mike Tyson and boxing, but never went back to watching team sports. Has this ever happened to any of you? And, did I really miss anything or was ‘77 the climax?

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Yes. I avidly watched baseball when I was younger and mostly enjoyed it, even if the slower pace of the sport sometimes bored me. Never was big on football or basketball, but I tried to make it a point to keep up with basic trends since those were subjects dear to my dad and most other men; familiarity with sports and the ability to be jocular about it is a good way to quickly establish friendly relations with other men. I used to care about that, but I just find keeping up with something that brings me so little joy to not be worth it. I enjoy watching hockey and consider myself a casual fan, but beyond that, I'd much rather engage (and talk about) history, literature, gaming, politics, or local news than sports.

Last edited:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Although I can find enjoyment in most sports, college football has been my favorite. I'm a Florida Gator, and had plenty to be happy about with multiple National Championships during the Tebow years.
But the sport has changed so much recently. I'm not sure I could even consider college football an amateur sport anymore now that players are paid through NIL contracts and such. And the complete money/power grabs of conference realignment has changed the game in a way I no longer enjoy.
Once upon a time, I wouldn't miss a game, even hung a Gator flag outside on Saturdays during the season. This year, i didn't watch a single game. And I didn't miss it.
So yeah, I've been moving away from sports lately, but not really because of any particular stellar win or unforgettable Championship.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yes. It was related to raising children and starting a career/owning a business and balance. Time not at work was very precious to me and Sundays spent watching NFL football, for example, got very selective and then non-existent. Haven’t watched an NFL game for many years. Baseball the same. Hawkeye football and basketball and occasional golf is all I watch, but really enjoyed the Iowa State snow fest last night. Nest has been empty for about 8 years but not knowing players and so forth I never got back into pro football or baseball. Don’t miss either - plenty of other ways to fill free time, outdoors if possible.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I watch NBA the most out of all sports. I'm sitting here watching the Milwaukee/Portland game as I type this.

I watch some NFL and college football.

I never watch baseball, golf, tennis or any auto racing.

I also enjoy World Cup soccer.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
As a child I used to be an avid baseball fan. But after witnessing the ‘77 World Series, I shut off the TV and never watched sports again. At that tender young age I reasoned out that anything beyond that would be anticlimactic. Of course I watched other sports if the talent was there, like Mike Tyson and boxing, but never went back to watching team sports. Has this ever happened to any of you? And, did I really miss anything or was ‘77 the climax?
I totally remember that series. I'm from Miami, and we didn't have a baseball team yet. And both my parents were New Yorkers, so the Yankees were my team growing up.
It was in that series that Reggie Jackson earned the nickname "Mr October". It was a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: JOHN72

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I totally remember that series. I'm from Miami, and we didn't have a baseball team yet. And both my parents were New Yorkers, so the Yankees were my team growing up.
It was in that series that Reggie Jackson earned the nickname "Mr October". It was a lot of fun to watch.
Three pitches, three home runs, game over. With Reggie, you never knew if he was going to strike out or put it over the fence, he delivered that day.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I like sports... I don't love them. I follow my teams, but could rarely name more than a handful of key players.

For me there is joy and relaxation in watching the games I played in my youth and have watched nearly all my life. By no means would I consider myself a "diehard" fan but I'm not a fairweather fan either.

It is nice to see my teams win though.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I am still watching baseball after some 68 years so still with that. I would say if you quit after 1977 series you were ready to quit. I do watch football but not with the vigor that I do baseball. Don't watch the NBA.
Quit the NBA 90% when Bird retired, but would tune in occasionally for the wonder of MJ (and he played with some former Hawkeyes). Honestly that had more to do with not being able to play 5 or 6 days a week and having a real job vs. family responsibilities.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't watch sports I can no longer play. I watch the Packers as my wife purchased a share in the team for me. I do watch golf in the winter as it's nice to see green grass and women in shorts. Major league, baseball, football and the like have simply left me behind with all of the changes directed at younger generations with short attention spans. Gotta have more scoring, unduly protect high priced stars and the like.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I like to watch baseball now and again Angels for those wondering . My Grandpa was big 49's fan so I like to watch them, for basketball been following the hornets since the 90's cant really say why I just didnt have a basketball team to follow as a kid and i ended up liking the hornets, Ducks for Hockey as I lived near them as a kid.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I watch lots of football - the one played with a foot and a ball - Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Champions League, European Championships and of course the World Cup.

Started watching Formula One in the 1980's and never stopped. Definitely my second favourite sport after football.

I watch Tennis if someone I like is/was playing. McEnroe, Sampras, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Anna Kournikova😁. I watch snooker if Ronnie O'Sullivan is playing and I watch the darts as well. Only watch rugby and cricket if England are playing.

The only sport I don't watch anymore is MotoGP. It's no longer part of my sports package and I wasn't prepared to pay the extra. I still check the results, tho.