PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hassoalbert

Lurker
May 4, 2024
I used to watch athletics when I was a kid. I was never into watching team sports, or playing them. At school I'd rather have been fishing or riding my bike than running round a field chasing a ball. But I enjoyed the tension, the will-they-won't-they of track sports, and probably the stadium atmosphere as well. But as an adult all sports leaves me cold. I don't know why. I'm a keen biker and I like fast riding but I never watch bike racing and can't think of anything worse than joining the throng on the Isle of Mann for the TT.

Can't stand TV's showing sports (or anything else) in pubs either. If I approach a bar and see a massive TV screen on the wall showing a football match I move on. Fortunately I rarely frequent pubs anymore as I no longer enjoy drinking, but when I did I would dread a world cup year. Wall to wall football everywhere and no conversation.

I'm not anti-sport though. It's healthy, physically and psychologically and kids particularly should be encouraged to play smartcric something if they enjoy it.
People's attitudes towards sports vary widely, reflecting diverse interests, backgrounds, and experiences. For some, sports are a passion, fostering camaraderie, competition, and a sense of belonging. They find joy in playing, watching, and discussing sports, bonding with friends and family over shared teams and victories. Sports enthusiasts often appreciate the physical prowess, strategic gameplay, and emotional intensity inherent in athletic competitions, finding inspiration in the dedication and resilience of athletes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
People's attitudes towards sports vary widely, reflecting diverse interests, backgrounds, and experiences. For some, sports are a passion, fostering camaraderie, competition, and a sense of belonging. They find joy in playing, watching, and discussing sports, bonding with friends and family over shared teams and victories. Sports enthusiasts often appreciate the physical prowess, strategic gameplay, and emotional intensity inherent in athletic competitions, finding inspiration in the dedication and resilience of athletes.
Please introduce yourself and tell us what you like to smoke, what pipes, etc.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I stopped watching basketball shortly after the Lakers descended back into mediocrity circa 2011. This stoppage probably would have happened sooner, but their championships during the 2000s kept my interest in the sport on something of a resuscitator. Once the quasi-euphoria wore off, that was the end of that. At some point (although I'm unable to identify precisely when) the sport completely changed, and it did not seem to be a gradual transition. It became all about ego glorification through fancy plays (chiefly dunks), rather than strategic shots, sound defense, and clutch free throws under pressure. I saw some highlights of a game somewhat recently; glad I bowed out when I did! You could literally call traveling or carrying the ball over on EVERY PLAY, and that's no exaggeration--a game would take a few days to complete at that pace! Some say it was Jordan who popularized palming the ball. Still others say it was Earl "The Pearl" Munroe. Whoever it was, it still doesn't explain the referees' unwillingness to call the game by the rules that were laid out. James Naismith must be turning in his grave.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Couldn't agree more on palming, traveling, plus charging which is called once in a blue moon.

I loved it when the Warriors arose from the depths, and had those great seasons years ago. Now, I won't watch them, nor any other NBA team. I'll watch some March madness, but BB is an inelegant game to my eyes.
Gimme lacrosse, hockey, soccer where there's beauty, movement and athleticism. Well, and a ton more of sports I like over BB.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I’ve never been a sports junky. I used to occasionally watch baseball and football bit it was rare. Id try to catch the superbowl or the occasional game but to watch that in the EU I would either have to record it or stay up to all kinds of crazy hours. I just dont care that much.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Speaking of writers. I just watched a really interesting and enjoyable movie called American Fiction on Prime.
Regarding my own love of sports. I have always considered myself an athlete who could do pretty much anything better than average. I may be understating my prowess, but I think I have a competitive approach that has not been conducive to balance. I'm not Michael Jordan driven by any means, but I am more like a dog and a stick. I'll fetch that sombitch.
I grew up in cold country and we played baseball in the spring and summer and we played basketball in the winter. I've been to Boston Garden and Fenway Park a few times back when I was much younger.
I played senior softball for 8 yrs from 2005 - 2013 when I retired from full time employment and went on the dole. I was at the top of my game! When I came to the plate, all the outfielders backed up against the fences and got intentionally walked regularly. Ego much? I was too damned competitive and got upset if I thought guys were half assing it. (like I'm some sort of judge)
I left the league in the middle of a game my team was winning after a verbal dressing down by my own pitcher, who had cut off my throw home from left field. We had a shutout going at that point and were winning by several runs with innings to play. I said something to him and he blasted me. My fuse was lit and I knew I had to control myself, or I would have attempted battery on the little guy. I walked off the field, asked our one sub if he would like to play left, and went away. I've been back a few times since in the 11 yrs that have passed and a lot of the same guys are still playing.
I played 'town team' basketball till I was in my 40's.
time passes, things change. we grow or we stagnate.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Speaking of writers. I just watched a really interesting and enjoyable movie called American Fiction on Prime.
<< Snipped bits out >>
We have a movie thread if you care to post there.
I played 'town team' basketball till I was in my 40's.
time passes, things change. we grow or we stagnate.
I din't realize how competitive you are! I just finished an article on Scottie Scheffler's competitive nature. It was in the Athletic. Are you competitive currently in other arenas?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I currently limit my competitions to the Daily Anagram, the Daily Chess Puzzle, and at least one online game of Texas Hold 'Em on a free, play for fun international poker site. I've played with these same folks for over a dozen yrs.
I compete with myself a lot. It's fun working the memory and using the internet for enlightenment, affirmation, or sharing these qualities. You know how it goes, you walk into the back room and the game is ON. Why did I come in here? More often it's songs and their lyrics that pop into my head on a walk that I try to recall once back inside. That is a puzzle right there. Short term memory? ha ha. Bats right, throws left. WIN_20240516_10_31_29_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72