PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I may have found my perfect outdoors hat... I have a fondness for scally caps and my good friend got me a Boston Scally Cap with ear flaps on it as a Christmas gift. Had to exchange it for the correct size, but I love it.

Quilted all the way around. Ears tuck up well. Fits perfectly. Wore it to church this morning. Also great for sitting inside while it snows! 🤣
View attachment 283237
View attachment 283238View attachment 283239View attachment 283240
I have two Boston Scally hats. They’re pretty great.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Yup! But, when it's needed ... it's needed. Or, you can pull the brim over your ears and secure it with your neckerchief on a cold, blustery day. Helps keep the ears warm also. A wide brimmed hat is damned versatile, much more than a sunshade, rain hat and such.
This why a wild rag is also part of your everyday carry and a useful as a pocket knife.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
This might get you going in the right direction. The Irish Walking Hat.
View attachment 282626

Thanks to @solideogloria86 for pointing me in the right direction.👍
Hannas Hats from Donegal provided me with my new tweed Titfer.
IMG_5929.jpeg
Perhaps channeling more of a ‘Ol Greengrass’ look these days, as opposed to the George Raft double, that I used to be.😁
Quality hat & I feel, a prudent purchase for a change……..after all, I’ve got enough pipes.

Pappy Coon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
If you can find one, an original Jones hunting cap would be ideal. Mine is made of tan canvas, is lined with black and white check wool material, and has an integral ear flap that can be folded up into the cap when not needed.

View attachment 283294
Great, classic outdoosman hat. Mollyjogger still sells them, but they sell out fast in the fall. I have a GoreTex Jones cap from Drake Outdoors.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
FWIW, I've owned this battered Filson Tin Cloth Packer hat since 98 or so. The brim is pretty short, but the tin cloth actually holds up as well as they say it does. What doesn't hold up is the leather hat band. It's made of cheap bonded leather. I recall being somewhat surprised when I saw how cheap it was when I first got it. The band was simply glued in place in a few spots, so of course it came loose over time and wear. I took it to a cobbler and had him run a couple of stitches through it, and all was well. Until the puppy got ahold of it and chewed it up. The tin cloth is still in fine shape, so I shopped around for a replacement band. I came up with the thick fabric one you can see in the picture that I've run through the wash a couple of times for shrinkage purposes. I just need to find a seamstress who can finish it off. Overall, the Filson is a good hat that was flawed by someone chasing a few pennies of profit.

1708090855458.png

FWIW, I'm much happier with my Tilley T3 khaki hat, natural color with olive underbrim. It's been mine since 2002. It'll never cut a fine, rakish figure on my head. It sits a bit lumpish. But damn it's a nice hat. Not a thing wrong with that one.