PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
My ID shot, left, shows what I wear when the temp drops into the teens. For rain and sun, it's a custom made, beaver, no rabbit, wide brimmed, really worn (30 years old) cowboy hat. I'm never without a hat.

PS

Never wear my hat in a house and always remove it when speaking to a lady, grocery clerk, bank teller, and so forth. My daddy raised me better than that that. Now I see men wearing hats in church, restaurants. and so forth. Sad!

It's akin to remaining seated when a lady is standing other than a restaurant staff and such. Who the hell raised these boys?
You are rare now-a-days.
Good on you.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
hmm. what hats did I wear today? Lover, Friend, Student, Shopper, Manager, Janitor, Hero (roadside mechanic), Chef....and Pipe Smoker. puffy

Reactions: JOHN72

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Yup! But, when it's needed ... it's needed. Or, you can pull the brim over your ears and secure it with your neckerchief on a cold, blustery day. Helps keep the ears warm also. A wide brimmed hat is damned versatile, much more than a sunshade, rain hat and such.
I'd wanted it for sun protection as one of our two dive boats didn't have a top. Or rather, the bimini blew off, was never recovered, and the shop owner was annoyed enough by this to not replace it for a very long time.

It would get salt water mist on it most days. When I'd get home, I'd rinse it off in the shower and store it in the gas oven overnight where the heat from the pilot light was just enough to have it bone dry by morning.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I'm envious in that I have never been a hat guy; it's just not a good look on me, with any kind of hat. I always look like a dork trying to wear a hat, which is a notch down from my usual just looking like a dork.