PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I've been on the hunt recently for the perfect outdoorsman hat. The need (want) was sparked during a recent camping trip. It was raining when we arrived and after setting up and getting the family settled in nice and dry I went out to add an insurance tarp to our setup. As I was doing this my coat was doing an excellent job of keeping my torso dry but the lack of a proper hat was certainly felt. So began the search.

I think I'd prefer crushable wool and have so far been leaning toward either Filson or Stetson. Does anyone here have an outdoorsman's hat they are partial to?

The Filson (not on me)
Screenshot_20240124_205437_Chrome.jpg

The Stetson (also not on me)
Screenshot_20240124_205533_Chrome.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I have the Filson tin cloth packer hat and like it. It’s not the wool like you want, but it’s the same style and company. I use it for in the sun and rain, not snow, which is why I have the one that I have. I’m a fan of it and have considered the wool version but I usually wear a beanie for warmth and better head coverage.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Here in Oz we have Akubra which are a Stetson felt hat equivalent and I wear one most days through summer and into the shoulder seasons of fall and spring. Having said that we certainly do not have weather like you guys do and I imagine a felt hat may get chilly. I do love Filson gear and wear it too, wool and tin cloth vests and have often looked at their wool crushable hats, very nice and super warm I’d say. Me in an Aukubra.
34032F74-A9D9-43A3-B74B-8E57A9405899.jpeg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My ID shot, left, shows what I wear when the temp drops into the teens. For rain and sun, it's a custom made, beaver, no rabbit, wide brimmed, really worn (30 years old) cowboy hat. I'm never without a hat.

PS

Never wear my hat in a house and always remove it when speaking to a lady, grocery clerk, bank teller, and so forth. My daddy raised me better than that that. Now I see men wearing hats in church, restaurants. and so forth. Sad!

It's akin to remaining seated when a lady is standing other than a restaurant staff and such. Who the hell raised these boys?

Last edited:

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
My ID shot, left, shows what I wear when the temp drops into the teens. For rain and sun, it's a custom made, beaver, no rabbit, wide brimmed, really worn (30 years old) cowboy hat. I'm never without a hat.

PS

Never wear my hat in a house and always remove it when speaking to a lady, grocery clerk, bank teller, and so forth. My daddy raised me better than that that. Now I see men wearing hats in church, restaurants. and so forth. Sad!

It's akin to remaining seated when a lady is standing other than a restaurant staff and such. Who the hell raised these boys?
We had a family dinner one night and my uncle was wearing a hat. He took it off when we went into the restaurant despite so many other's still wearing theirs. Anyway, we enjoyed the meal and family time. When the bill was due we learned that "The Judge" had paid our tab. We were a group of eight maybe nine and the bill was certainly in the $100s. The waiter said that the Judge (who turned out to be an actual Judge) paid our tab solely because he noticed my uncle remove his hat upon entering.

His taking off the hat was no big deal to us. It how we were raised. The Judge paying our tab was a very kind gesture that we still talk about to this day, some 20+ years later.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I have the Filson tin cloth packer hat and like it. It’s not the wool like you want, but it’s the same style and company. I use it for in the sun and rain, not snow, which is why I have the one that I have. I’m a fan of it and have considered the wool version but I usually wear a beanie for warmth and better head coverage.
I've looked at the tin hat but I've heard that it can run warm as it isn't very breathable whereas the wool, although warm does tend toward breathing better than the waxed (oil'd) canvas.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I have been a "hat guy" all my life and have a fair number of vintage and custom-made hats, mainly in the Fedora style.
I would steer you away from wool felt as it does not hold up well to hard use and inclement weather.
One of my most worn is an Akubra Campdraft. It has seen years of daily wear and hard use in all kinds of weather. So, I can attest that Akubras are well made and durable. In fact, I am about to take this hat in to be cleaned and reblocked. I expect it to last me the rest of my life.

Years ago, I switched to Tilley hats for hunting and outdoor activities and their LTM6 "Airflow" hats have become my most worn day-to-day hat especially during the summer. Of course, I live in the desert and heat is the main issue even in winter. When I head into the mountains in cold weather I wear the Akubra or Stetson.
The Tilley's are not inexpensive compared to hats of the same style, but their quality and warranty are exceptionally good.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I also have a Filson Waxed Canvas hat - for rain, it doesn't provide much insulation for snow (hood on my parka and a beanie cover snow.

I have an Orvis felt hat but wouldn't wear it for long term exposure to snow.

Leather - tried a leather cowboy style hat once, way too hot and sweaty.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Here in Oz we have Akubra which are a Stetson felt hat equivalent and I wear one most days through summer and into the shoulder seasons of fall and spring. Having said that we certainly do not have weather like you guys do and I imagine a felt hat may get chilly. I do love Filson gear and wear it too, wool and tin cloth vests and have often looked at their wool crushable hats, very nice and super warm I’d say. Me in an Aukubra.
View attachment 282281
I've been on the hunt recently for the perfect outdoorsman hat. The need (want) was sparked during a recent camping trip. It was raining when we arrived and after setting up and getting the family settled in nice and dry I went out to add an insurance tarp to our setup. As I was doing this my coat was doing an excellent job of keeping my torso dry but the lack of a proper hat was certainly felt. So began the search.

I think I'd prefer crushable wool and have so far been leaning toward either Filson or Stetson. Does anyone here have an outdoorsman's hat they are partial to?

The Filson (not on me)
View attachment 282275

The Stetson (also not on me)
View attachment 282276
You wear it well. Some of these clowns are trying way too hard. It should look effortless. And it goes great with your coat.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I've looked at the tin hat but I've heard that it can run warm as it isn't very breathable whereas the wool, although warm does tend toward breathing better than the waxed (oil'd) canvas.
I have one and although it’s quality I rarely wear it because it doesn’t breathe. Wore it a few times on hikes and I couldn’t stop sweating in the sun. Grant it I’m a naturally sweaty guy lol but still the hat wasn’t working for me so I’m back to mesh backed baseball hats which work much better.

Reactions: brandaves
I used to look exclusively for Stetson hats, because I remember my grandfather always talking about them. But, I have only recently realized that Stetson went out of business in 1970. Hatco makes them now. Hatco specializes in restaurant equipment, and the cheapest restaurant uniforms on the market. So, since 1970, Stetsons are made by the people who make Waffle House hats and Taco Bell uniforms.

But, I have a huge selection of hats these days, still some Stetson branded hats, but quite a variety of styles.

Lots of nice hats pictured on this thread. Great post.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Stetson has two outlet stores, one in St Joe, Missouri and one in Garland, TX. You can get Dobbs and Stetson hats for pennies on the dollar. I live about 40min south of the St Joe store and make frequent trips to Garland for work. I buy all my hats there. I generally wear a specific model of Dobbs that's now discontinued. I was fortunate enough to get a few of them before they were all gone. So I'm pretty well set for hats for the rest of my life.