PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
View attachment 282325
Summer in South LA, MOWING the grass, Filson tin not insulated, going out Stetson Stockman, everyday, ball cap.
That pic brings a whole new level to "Get off my lawn" ! ;) Nice ... I have an old Stetson Straw I use to use when cutting the lawn with that same cattleman brim. If it ever gets soft ... a little fabric stiffener brings it right back ... sprays on opaque but drys clear. Its used for stiffening drapes ... you can get it at any fabric store. :)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I take my hat off in most restaurants if I’m dining in but sometimes I don’t, usually if it’s cold out or I’m done cycling or hiking and I’m at a fairly casual place. I don’t have time in my life to care about what others do and I’ve got better things to do with my life than to judge others on their choices.

Additionally, since I’m bald and my dome gets cold, and I keep my place chilly, yeah I’m often wearing a beanie inside.
I take my hat off, usually, when I get to the table ... but if I have to stand by the door waiting to be seated I prefer to avoid the draft and stay warm.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
In winter, I always have a Turtlefur Ski hat with me as it rolls up and fits in a pocket. Wool with fleece lining ... stays warm even is subzero weather. I even keep them in dress coats ...once had to attend an outdoor funeral/burial in the snow in subzero weather and was glad I had it ... made others jealous though ...

View attachment 282348
Where did you get it from? Looks warm and sharp

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Where did you get it from? Looks warm and sharp
You can order them online for about $40 but I got mine at Marshall's and TJ Maxx at the end of the season for about $12.00 ... Check the label to make sure you get at least 10% wool if they don't have the Merino wool ones. And ... you have to hunt for them. Its hit or miss so keep looking. Most of them are acrylic which I avoid. and ... they're washable.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
In non-rural USA the notion of no hats indoors is completely outmoded. Truly, what the hell difference does it make?
Some folks were raised with social graces that dates back 💯s of years. It just happens that many rural folks maintain those modes of respect that are now thought outdated or outmoded. Personally, I was always raised to take my hat off inside & formally the presence of a lady (when & where you find them). ☕

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Some folks were raised with social graces that dates back 💯s of years. It just happens that many rural folks maintain those modes of respect that are now thought outdated or outmoded. Personally, I was always raised to take my hat off inside & formally the presence of a lady (when & where you find them). ☕
I don't see where rural has anything to do with this. I do not live in a rural area. Neither does the Welshman that brought it up.
I am sorry that my opinion upsets some folks so much. So much for the whole, "I don't care what other people think" thing. Do what you want, and I'll do what I want.
I never said that I get up and whack hats off anyone's heads, ha ha. Now, can we get back to the cool hats?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I don't see where rural has anything to do with this. I do not live in a rural area. Neither does the Welshman that brought it up.
I am sorry that my opinion upsets some folks so much. So much for the whole, "I don't care what other people think" thing. Do what you want, and I'll do what I want.
I never said that I get up and whack hats off anyone's heads, ha ha. Now, can we get back to the cool hats?
I don’t around apologizing all over the place as I’m not personally easily offended…but if you read my comment I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone by mentioning the term “rural”…to me it doesn’t have any type of negative connotation at all. My response was referenced of a comment I believe comparing both urban to rural behaviors. In addition, I don’t find manners are strictly relatable to geographic region of the country either…well some are. 🤣 So, if you’re offended unintentionally by my response…MEA CULPA! …and yes hats are cool. 🙏☕

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I don’t around apologies all over the place, but if you read my comment I meant to offend anyone by mentioning the term “rural”…to me it doesn’t have any type of negative connotation at all. My response was referenced of a comment I believe comparing both urban to rural behaviors. In addition, I don’t find manners are strictly relatable to geographic region of the country either…well some are. 🤣 So, if you’re offended unintentionally by my response…MEA CULPA! …and yes hats are cool. 🙏☕
We live semi-rural urban in the sticks, does that count ?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Sorry you choose to feel that way! I’m sharing my observations of having lived in rural, suburban, and urban areas that seem to run counter to your experience. But the rural vs urban culture debate is tired and old lol.

As for who agrees with my opinions, meh lol. We’re all entitled to them regardless of whether we agree or not.
I’ve lived in all 3 environments as well. Of course I was generalizing, but in general it is my experience in the suburbs and the city that is not even a sentiment in most people’s mind in these locales. They aren’t doing it as a rude gesture.

I am not trying to pit rural vs. urban, but using them as equivalents for where the “hat rule” does and doesn’t apply. Stereotypes exist for a reason. In small towns the hats are almost always off. I just was saying to the crowd here that they shouldn’t assume an indoor hat-wearer is being rude intentionally. And as a free thinker we must ask ourselves “Why is this rude?” My brain replies “I can’t find anything intrinsically rude about it.” It’s just what I was told growing up.

I’m more traditional and don’t wear them indoors, though I occasionally will wear a beanie or sports hat in casual environments like the grocery or a casual restaurant.

I sure ain’t tipping my hat, or removing it when speaking to women like I’m Michael Landon…you’d get laughed out of town where I live (suburbs).
I don’t around apologizing all over the place as I’m not personally easily offended…but if you read my comment I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone by mentioning the term “rural”…to me it doesn’t have any type of negative connotation at all. My response was referenced of a comment I believe comparing both urban to rural behaviors. In addition, I don’t find manners are strictly relatable to geographic region of the country either…well some are. 🤣 So, if you’re offended unintentionally by my response…MEA CULPA! …and yes hats are cool. 🙏☕
he was replying to me, here is my reply^
and in church I've seen young men wearing stupid looking baseball caps etc.
Hell no, this seems like something nobody should do IMO, but perhaps I am being too old-fashioned

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly