PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
This is probably old news to a bunch like this, but just in case, have any of you tried the online pipe/tobacco inventory program called The Pipe Tool? It's pretty well done. I'm quite obsessive when it comes to my hobbies, so I entered all my tobaccos into it. It took a awhile, but I enjoyed it and now all my tobacco information is in one place and, since it is online, I can access it anyplace. If you are curious, it is worth a look. It's free to use.

thepipetool.com

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s a really well done site made by @pylorns. I used to use it all the time but I’ve grown lazy over the years. I made my own back in 2018 as a capstone project, it was never near as good as pylorns, which, helped me respect the work he put into it even more. I’m not sure if it’s still supported or not.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
This looks pretty neat! I may have to dig through it and give it a whirl when I get some free time. It sort of reminds me of this beer app a friend of mine uses to (obsessively) track what he drinks, how he liked it, etc.

Reactions: Beowoulf

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I personally don't have much of a use for it, but I can see how it would be a boon to guys with very wide collection of tobacco.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Yes I tried it — stopped using it after about 6 months. Instead i use an xl workbook. I like being in possession of my data plus I can design it to suit my need/desires. Too many times a tobacco I had was not in the database, what’s up with that? I gave up on tobaccocellar for the same reasons.

Reactions: jmsmitty6 and Elric

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I just keep track of mine on an excel spreadsheet that I can access on all my devi and computers

Reactions: yanoJL

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I still run the site - but its due for an update. I'm going to be migrating webhosts soon and then I'm on the hunt for yet another developer for this big update I've been planning - its hard to find pipe smoking developers.
What stack are you using?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have a Excel workbook that writes out my inventory as html. That lives on a Rasberry Pi I use as a web server. I can access my cellar list from anything web enabled in the house. I know, nerd.

Reactions: yanoJL

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have an Excel workbook that writes out my inventory as html. That lives on a Rasberry Pi I use as a web server. I can access my cellar list from anything web enabled in the house. I know, nerd.
I’m migrating the pipe collection from P&T’s long dormant Foundations software to Excel. I thought it would be a month long project 3 months ago. I don’t understand how to reformat pictures to fit. I don’t know if I can go deeper within a listing to add additional pictures under the first mug shot identifying a pipe (if that makes sense). IMO Foundations was perfect I wish someone could recreate an updated version of it.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
When I started I kept track of everything on a spreadsheet and maintain that to this day. Might be considered OCD, but it helps me when I'm searching for a specific blend or details about a particular pipe. I couldn't imagine undertaking this now and I'm thankful that I started this at the start of my journey.

Jason