PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I'll be shagged!

Ah, well, I have been laboring under a misconception for all nine years I've been here. Blame tobaccoreviews.com- they say Margate is shag.

How many microns define each cut?

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
And in several other seaports in England....
Only seven?
You must've only visited the 'posh ports' down south. If you'd of come to Wales and the west coast of England, you'd of been on double figures at least!

Still, seven is not a bad strike rate, for a visiting colonial. Dare say the innocent young English girls stood a chance against the young moderator John. 'here you are my dear, take this piece of paper and give me your name and number..... Not all in Caps! Just as well put down your street address and postcode, while you're at it.
Poor girls, defenceless against such an authoritarian advance! Lol
But if not a shag cut, what?
To be fair, the EU did away with the proper shag cut 15 or so years ago. The cut from many of Germain's blends, bears a closer resemblance to the shag cuts of old than anything else, here in the UK at least.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Too easy of a shag and the burn after requires a healthy dose of penicillin.
Too easy he says! Lol
Chance would be a fine thing!
I'm no oil painting and at 52, my best day's are behind me. If you're who I think you are, you look like Walter Matthau with a melted face! We'd have no chance mate! Even if we did, we'd probably only embarrass ourselves, make an excuse and have to leave! Lol

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Only seven?
You must've only visited the 'posh ports' down south. If you'd of come to Wales and the west coast of England, you'd of been on double figures at least!

Still, seven is not a bad strike rate, for a visiting colonial. Dare say the innocent young English girls stood a chance against the young moderator John. 'here you are my dear, take this piece of paper and give me your name and number..... Not all in Caps! Just as well put down your street address and postcode, while you're at it.
Poor girls, defenceless against such an authoritarian advance! Lol

To be fair, the EU did away with the proper shag cut 15 or so years ago. The cut from many of Germain's blends, bears a closer resemblance to the shag cuts of old than anything else, here in the UK at least.
Just the ports that Steve Richman used to name the US Esotericas....

And, thanks for info on cuts—I'll continue saying it's shag, in part 'cause it's so much more manly than "ribbon"... :sher:

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Just the ports that Steve Richman used to name the US Esotericas....

And, thanks for info on cuts—I'll continue saying it's shag, in part 'cause it's so much more manly than "ribbon"... :sher:
Quite right! 👍
To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure what a ribbon is. Something silky that Texans wear around their necks, if memory serves.

Frivolity aside, interesting about the Esoterica blends. As far as I know, the only other firm who dedicated town names to their products were Loewe & their pipes. Only difference being that Loewe named towns in both Britain and Ireland, whilst esoterica only names those in England & Wales?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Quite right! 👍
To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure what a ribbon is. Something silky that Texans wear around their necks, if memory serves.

Frivolity aside, interesting about the Esoterica blends. As far as I know, the only other firm who dedicated town names to their products were Loewe & their pipes. Only difference being that Loewe named towns in both Britain and Ireland, whilst esoterica only names those in England & Wales?
I can't add any reason for the naming conventions used. I do like seaports, though!

• Haha
Reactions: simong