PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I grew up near Hayward and let me tell ya plenty of people loved hip hop and rap in high school lol. But dang that’s a nice score!
My sister and her then husband lived in Haywire a long time ago, I got shipped off to stay with them for a few weeks when i was wicked young, 14 or 15 at the time, l can find the date because i saw the first day of MTv programming on their TV, then i went to the bart station and got into SF without them knowing also without having any money to get home, thankfully the BART cop could see i was panicking and let me through the gate to get back home, also went and saw a Day on the Green concert, all in all it was a very busy trip!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Went to three different antique malls today. None of them had anything remotely tobacco related (let alone pipe related) other than ashtrays, and one had two top-o-matic type table top tube cigarette machines that weren't even antique. I asked one if they ever saw tobacco pipes come in, and they said they never seen any.

I was also on the hunt for decent unicorn stuff. Only one had one thing, which also wasn't an antique and is something I already have one of that's in much better shape.

Roll for luck?
Still 0, as per usual.

• Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
This one is a toss up! I'm thinning my herd. I have a paint can originally filled with Black Watch from Vottis Pipe & Tobacco Shop, Schenectady NY 1926 tax tag.
DSC00817.JPGDSC00818.JPGDSC00820.JPGDSC00821.JPG

Any Smokers on the East Coast have any fond memories of this place?

I'll send it free to anyone with a Schenectady address!

To everyone else, a little something for the postage would be nice

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Tobacco Storage Devises

Yesterday morning went out garage sailing. Found some small items and bought 18 Ball one quart wide mouth canning jars for $10. So, now those 1 pound plastic bags of bulk tobacco will have a new home. puffy

16oz_ball__69326.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This seems to be my weekend. Not only did I score a deal on those jars, but a while ago I got a call from a local guy I've bought tobacco from before. Seems when he wants to "try" a blend he buys a huge amount, then, when he decides it's not for him he sells it off at a fire sale price. Yeah, I don't understand it either.... Anyway, I just bought 33, 100 gram cans of Rattray's Jock's Mixture for $200. Nice, mild English. I probably could have haggled him down even lower, but I don't want to take a chance of pissing him off incase he wants to do this again. "You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only eat him once." puffy

Imagtjgde1.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
This seems to be my weekend. Not only did I score a deal on those jars, but a while ago I got a call from a local guy I've bought tobacco from before. Seems when he wants to "try" a blend he buys a huge amount, then, when he decides it's not for him he sells it off at a fire sale price. Yeah, I don't understand it either.... Anyway, I just bought 33, 100 gram cans of Rattray's Jock's Mixture for $200. Nice, mild English. I probably could have haggled him down even lower, but I don't want to take a chance of pissing him off incase he wants to do this again. "You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only eat him once." puffy

View attachment 301589
Yeah that was the move not to haggle him down. 33 can gamble! This guy has some of the most serious TAD I've ever heard of.

Reactions: Speak Easy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Went garage sailing this morning. Stopped at about a dozen sales and did a drive by without stopping at about another dozen. No luck, only bought one $3 item. On the way home we saw a sign for a sale right in our neighborhood. They had a bunch of krap and there were about 15 or 20 kitchen knives. As a rule garage sale knives are junk, but once in a while you can get lucky. I spotted the brand by the shape of the handle. Ended up paying 50 cents for a 4 7/8" Cutco serrated blade kitchen knife. It's $119.00 on Amazon. puffy puffy puffy

Note: How does this happen? We've bought other Cutco knives at garage sales for give-a-way prices. My theory is that lots of Cutco knives are bought and given as gifts. Because it's not polite to ask someone what they paid for a gift they give you, a lot of people don't have a clue as to how expensive these knives are. So some end up in garage or estate sales for peanuts.

Last edited:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've never found anything really interesting in 'Thrift Stores' other than the odd book I wanted to read.
Try Saturday morning garage sales instead. It takes persistence and patience, but you will find things you need or want. What you should look for is someone who has good stuff with the attitude they just want to get rid of it and are not trying the get top dollar. Check the on line web sites for neighborhood or community sales. You can visit more sales with less driving. Right now is a great time of year for this. Weather is a big factor. Good luck. puffy