PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I really like the Morgan bones pipes. They are definitely in my budget and look good too. If I go with an estate sale or eBay is there anything I need to stay away from or need to look for so I don’t get a bad pipe?
I’m new too and just bought a Morgan Bones Bent Billard, as my first briar, for $45 straight from their site. From my limited knowledge and research, that seems like the best briar bang for your buck! But I guess I’ll find out for sure down the road.

Reactions: Medy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
By all means buy a Cobbit. The only one who can determine whether a churchwarden is right for you is YOU and YOU ALONE.

Get the cobbit and see if you like the feel and handling of a 'warden.

'Wardens seem to get quite a bit of hate here, but they're my favourite pipes. Great for driving: only pipe you can hold in your hand whilst keeping both hands on the wheel.

Reactions: Medy and Old Smokey

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I see what everyone means. Main reason for the Cobbit is that Bosswell’s has them and I can go to the store to check them out in person. Also like FLDRD has stated they are not that good for an active person. I do a lot of hiking and walking, but I also like sitting at the end of the day with a good book. The Morgan Bones seem to be on the “stubby” side and would be great to throw in my pocket or in a day bag…..lol…. Guess I’m stuck between the two

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
If it were me, I'd get a pipe from the Rossi Notte line because they have acrylic stems and are filterless. They go for around $68 so it is slightly out of the budget, but not by much. You really can't go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum cob though.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I have an MM Elf Cobbit and it is one of my favorite pipes. It always produces a fine smoke. It has a good sized bowl as well. Good for sitting on the porch and contemplating life. I recommend them.
I see what everyone means. Main reason for the Cobbit is that Bosswell’s has them and I can go to the store to check them out in person. Also like FLDRD has stated they are not that good for an active person. I do a lot of hiking and walking, but I also like sitting at the end of the day with a good book. The Morgan Bones seem to be on the “stubby” side and would be great to throw in my pocket or in a day bag…..lol…. Guess I’m stuck between the two
I don't generally smoke while doing anything else so that is not a consideration for me. The Bones pipes look good and get pretty good reviews overall although I do not own one.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Pipes for sale posted today, 3 in a lot for cheap too.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Churchwarden? I'd give that some real thought. I bought one 50 years ago, and have smoked it, on average, once every five years.
Why is that? Is it just not your thing or is there something specific about them? Or do you have that many pipes that’s how often it comes up in the rotation…lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess it's just not my thing, in addition to the particular one I got: uninteresting, plain pot. And I also don't like pots!

But I'd never drive while smoking one, Just one thing that could get in the way if I had to make sudden turn, hit brakes or even swerve at speed.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Country Gentleman is perhaps MM best made pipe IMO, I have more than several of them. If it were me I would spend the money on a nice entry-mid level briar. But again, paying over $15-$20 for a cob is something I will not do. Look to Rossi, Ropp, Savinelli, Baraccini or maybe a basic Peterson. Or like others have suggested eBay for estates. I have quite a few very nice estates that I picked up. You do have to restore them but hey that is fun!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So I’m leaning towards this one if I go with Morgan Bones

Oh wow just found out they do Veterans discount of 15% also
If you're just starting with pipes, getting a new one will be the way to go.
When you have tried out cobs and briars and have settled on your preference, then you MAY wish explore more expensive options

I have a lot of estate pipes - in fact the majority of my "collection"
Estates are a good way to get a discount on more expensive or out of production pipes

If the idea of cleaning a well used pipe is NOT your cup of tea, sponsors eg SmokingPipes, Blue Room Briars, The Danish Pipe Shop have estates which arrive in well-cleaned condition.
Another option is looking on the Forums "Pipes For Sale" section.

If you know what to look for, and you are patient, there can be very good deals on EBay. I have scored a quite a few NOS (new old stock - ie unused, unsold stock) for $50 or less
Some of the EBay vendors are pipe makers and the estates they offer are often great value

Reactions: newbroom and Medy

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
It's up to you. Everyone has different preferences. Maybe a briar since you already have a cob?
Churchwardens are great. I love them, as do many others.

SootLeaf

Lurker
Sep 18, 2022
Maryland
My elf cobbit was one of my favorite pipes for a long time, and only fell out of rotation because I'm a capiricious lover of my pipes and cycle through them often. It's a decent sized pipe but perhaps smaller on the churchwarden scale in terms of length, so not a bad way to test the waters if you're unsure of 'wardens in general.

As a side note, I clenched mine all the time without issue so it mostly got treated like any of my other pipes. It's not so large as to be too cumbersome imo. I will say that the draw on the cobbits are not as open as other MM cobs because of how their particular acrylic stems are drilled so that may be something to keep in mind if you favor that wind-tunnel-wide draft.

norddie

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
betandreas-ozbekiston.net
Cobs are great and I love them, in fact my most smoked pipe is probably a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, but they don't last forever and for around $50 you can get yourself a really nice smoking briar pipe that will probably outlive you.

My two suggestions for about $50 would be any pipe from Rossi that strikes your fancy or a Morgan Bones. Rossi pipes are Savinelli seconds, meaning that they're just Savinelli pipes that had some cosmetic imperfections so they got sandblasted down and coated with a rugged black finish. They're still made from the same quality briar as the $100+ Savinellis though and smoke every bit as well!

Morgan Bones pipes are made from quality Italian briar that ended up being seconds as well due to cosmetic imperfections, but left in their natural state with no finish or coating applied. They're excellent smokers though and the wood darkens in a very attractive way over time as you smoke them.

Here's my Rossi Piccolo and Morgan Bones Milan for reference:

View attachment 302272

View attachment 302271
here is full review of my preferences
They're both wonderful little pipes and smoke every bit as well as my Savinelli and Peterson pipes that cost twice as much. They may not be the prettiest pipes in the world, but they are fantastic smokers!puffy
Totally agree!!! The Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman is a great pipe, but the briar is a really valuable pipe material. For that price, it's hard to find anything better.

Haggard

Lurker
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
I can't understand people recommending a new Merc when someone asks about a Toyota or Mazda
Why not? I’m sure he is capable of deciding on his own if he wants to pay for something or not.

Scottie’s pipes are great for beginners. Stainless inner tube reduces cleaning problems, they’re a work of art, durable… you can sell them on at a decent price if pipe smoking isn’t your thing.

And it also checks the churchwarden box in some examples.

I’ve often set an initial budget only to blow through it when I get more information.

I don’t think you need to “work up” to a pipe. It’s only a recommendation. Relax!