PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
For now I will probably stick with Bones and MM pipes. Like you said price doesn’t always matter. As of now those two companies fit the bill for me. Why spend more on a pipe that’ll probably smoke the same.

If you haven’t read ‘The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, it’s a must read.

Here’s an article on Dr. Fred Hanna.

Smoking a pipe is pretty much inline with someone’s preferences for food and drink, of course, they do say, we change as we get older. LOL 😆

While it is true price doesn’t always equate to a better smoker, it’s also going to depend on how refined someone’s palate is, and their likes.

There are definitely higher priced pipes, that are in a different league. There are also a lot of older inexpensive estate pipes, from well known brands that are also in a different league.

In the end, it just depends on you, and your personal preferences in tobacco.

Last edited:

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've been smoking the elf cobbit for a year. I really like it and it's been going strong with out any problems. I think it's worth a purchase though it is a bit high priced for a corn cob pipe in my opinion. $50 for the Wizard is too much in my opinion. If nobody else were reading this comment I would pull you aside though, and try and convince you to purchase a briar churchwarden instead.

Reactions: Medy

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
If the time comes to spend a little more money, Peterson system pipes are fantastic. This is my own opinion, but any bent Peterson system is a wonderful way to go. I found out I don't like straight pipes at all, I clench a lot. I also love the P-lip stem. I am still recovering from major sleep Apnea surgery I had a year ago, the giant hole in my mouth below my bottom teeth is still healing, and clenching straight pipes agitates it far more than a bent P-lip.
You'll come into your own and decide what type of pipe you enjoy the most! Just go slow. I've purchased 15? maybe 16? high-end pipes in 4 months and spent thousands... I'm slowly unloading the pipes I don't enjoy as much so I can build a collection of 6 or 7 Peterson system pipes. Deluxe and Spigot. I'll be replacing the standard system pipes I have now because I found that the deluxe system blows them out of the water! Try to avoid what I did, unless you have the funds for it of course. I went a little crazy...

Reactions: FLDRD and Medy

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
If the time comes to spend a little more money, Peterson system pipes are fantastic. This is my own opinion, but any bent Peterson system is a wonderful way to go. I found out I don't like straight pipes at all, I clench a lot. I also love the P-lip stem. I am still recovering from major sleep Apnea surgery I had a year ago, the giant hole in my mouth below my bottom teeth is still healing, and clenching straight pipes agitates it far more than a bent P-lip.
You'll come into your own and decide what type of pipe you enjoy the most! Just go slow. I've purchased 15? maybe 16? high-end pipes in 4 months and spent thousands... I'm slowly unloading the pipes I don't enjoy as much so I can build a collection of 6 or 7 Peterson system pipes. Deluxe and Spigot. I'll be replacing the standard system pipes I have now because I found that the deluxe system blows them out of the water! Try to avoid what I did, unless you have the funds for it of course. I went a little crazy...
Thank you - I needed to hear that! I'm only a little over two weeks into smoking a pipe and I already have 5 pipes on hand and 12 different blends. Yeah... Thankfully, my most expensive pipe is only $68 and four of them are cob pipes, so my investment has not been absorbent. I want to keep it that way. However, I would like to buy either a Peterson or Savinelli by Father's Day, but don't know what to pick? I have a bent 8626 Rossi and like how that feels, so I was thinking of getting a bent Peterson, but I'm uncertain about the P-lip thing? I have managed to avoid any tongue bite so far, and don't relish the thought of encountering it. Would you say the system pipes help with that? Also, what would you say have been the pros and cons of the P-lip?

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Yes, that’s darkened up quite a bit! I like their pipes, however, I wish they had filtered versions like Rossi does. However, I’ll likely get another one down the road as their cost is very appealing.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Yes, that’s darkened up quite a bit! I like their pipes, however, I wish they had filtered versions like Rossi does. However, I’ll likely get another one down the road as their cost is very appealing.
They did but I think they sold out or at least I thought he did. Just have to check every now and then

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
They did but I think they sold out or at least I thought he did. Just have to check every now and then
I didn’t know that. I’ll have to inquire. Not planning to be a collector or smoker of expensive pipes by any stretch, but I did just buy my first Peterson. I really just want to eventually have a Peterson and Savinelli and churchwarden. I don’t smoke everyday, at least not at this point. Pretty much 4-5 times a week. I enjoy it but I don’t always have an hour to dedicate to it.

Reactions: Manawydan and Medy

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I didn’t know that. I’ll have to inquire. Not planning to be a collector or smoker of expensive pipes by any stretch, but I did just buy my first Peterson. I really just want to eventually have a Peterson and Savinelli and churchwarden. I don’t smoke everyday, at least not at this point. Pretty much 4-5 times a week. I enjoy it but I don’t always have an hour to dedicate to it.
I think this might be one

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

flyerdog

Lurker
Dec 12, 2013
Hello all, as I am still new to pipe smoking, I’m looking to get my second pipe. My first pipe is a MM gentleman straight pipe. I’m fan of Tolkien and saw that MM has a set of cobs called the Cobbit collection. Just wondering if a Churchwarden pipe would be a good second pipe or you guys have a better idea. My budget for a new pipe is 50$ and all of the collection is under that per pipe. Thanks in advance.
Morgan Bones. Great smokers very reasonably priced

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
I'm on a similar path -- first pipe was a Sav, then got a Pete, and then wanted a churchwarden. My Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson bent egg arrives today. :) Being new to pipe-smoking, I think it is important to actually try pipes from different makes and different shapes. I am learning that there is a wide range of what feels good in my hand/mouth, and what smokes well for my style/cadence.

Oh -- and just ordered a Boswell during their weekly release yesterday. :)

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I'm on a similar path -- first pipe was a Sav, then got a Pete, and then wanted a churchwarden. My Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson bent egg arrives today. :) Being new to pipe-smoking, I think it is important to actually try pipes from different makes and different shapes. I am learning that there is a wide range of what feels good in my hand/mouth, and what smokes well for my style/cadence.

Nice I’m probably gonna go to the store tomorrow sometime

Reactions: Manawydan

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Oooo excited for that HCA!

Reactions: Manawydan