PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Send them some Haunted Bookshop and maybe they'll see things from my perspective.
I just received an oz. In the mail, though I have yet to try it. I will say that is visually unremarkable but we’ll see How it tastes. I understand this to be a polarizing blend

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
It certainly is. Don't know if I've ever read a middle-of-the-road opinion about it.
I like it mostly because of the name and tin art, but also because when I first started pipe smoking I kept watching Bradley from Stuffandthings reviewing it and I got obsessed with it. When I first got my hands on it, it was certainly tasty, but I won't lie, it does taste similar to cigarettes. I don't know why that would be a bad thing, tho.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I like it mostly because of the name and tin art, but also because when I first started pipe smoking I kept watching Bradley from Stuffandthings reviewing it and I got obsessed with it. When I first got my hands on it, it was certainly tasty, but I won't lie, it does taste similar to cigarettes. I don't know why that would be a bad thing, tho.

After exploring a bunch of pipe tobaccos, I'd say cigarette taste is not something I'm looking for in a pipe tobacco. If I craved that flavor, I could just bum a dart from one of my ciggie smoking friends. I have noticed that some straight Virginias do leave a cigarette smell behind, but haven't noticed much of the cig flavor.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
For non - latakia blends, especially those that contain a topping I don't like, I add some moisture, jar them up, and put them in the trunk of my car where they heat-ferment. I've had fantastic luck getting rid of slight off-tastes or casings that way, also while speeding up the aging/fermentation process, in a way.

Huh. Have you tried speeding up the aging on VAs this way?
I'm thinking in particular of the night & day difference between 10 year OGS and fresh... could this be accelerated?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Post it here on the forum as a trade or a give away. Someone might want it or maybe not. I have some Rattray's Exotic Passion I'm trying to give away and I'll pay the postage...so far no takers.

I once threw some Captain Black in my fire pit to get rid of it. It was so moist that it put the fire out. rotf
Was going to PM you about that Exotic Passion but you'll need to contact me if you're serious ...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Was going to PM you about that Exotic Passion but you'll need to contact me if you're serious ...
I'm very serious, sorry though someone beat you to it. It's already on it's way or I would of divided it between the two of you.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm very serious, sorry though someone beat you to it. It's already on it's way or I would of divided it between the two of you.
It's all good.

It's not within my genre that I'm actively seeking but I think that some aromatics might come back into my focus at the right time. I've loads of tins to open and try.

Cheers

Reactions: scloyd

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Huh. Have you tried speeding up the aging on VAs this way?
I'm thinking in particular of the night & day difference between 10 year OGS and fresh... could this be accelerated?
This reminds me of how now there are whiskey producers who submerge their liquor in the ocean thus drastically reducing aging time needed (in the barrel in this case). I have heard the results are well received despite my inner-traditionalist not wanting to cheat Grandfather Time. I hope this is true though because I missed out on the recent aged Capstan drop. But that doesn’t matter if I can just throw some of my regular Capstan tins into SBC’s trunk.

Reactions: SBC

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
Maybe it's been said already, but a way that works for me, with tobaccos I don't like, is giving them a hot water bath for 45 minutes - 1 hours. It has improved a few tobaccos I didn't care for.

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't keep it just for thrift. However, I usually suggest that blends you don't like should be jarred up and tried in about a year, more or less, since your taste for a blend can completely change, because the blend improves decisively with time, or more likely, because in the interim, in the back of your mind, you've figured it out and know how to enjoy it. It sounds unlikely, but it has happened to me more than several times. But if you are impelled to throw it out, that's okay. No guilt. Sometimes it's just a good outlet to give a bad blend the heave-ho.

Missoulaman

Lurker
Mar 26, 2022
I would offer it up to the group for shipping. One man's poison is another's treasure for sure. Tastes do change though. There was a time when i layered bowl after bowl with punch robusto cigar leaf.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'm one to readily toss something I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like even if I set it aside or cellar it a while. It's not often, and I don't need it cluttering my cellar of things I know I do like. Especially since I'm slowly transitioning from a wide cellar to a deep cellar (simplifying). That' just me though.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've consigned a few blends to the garden. I've kept a few that were on the iffy side of awful to see if my tastes changed or perhaps some age would help. Not too successful with that approach, most of them were traded, sold or gifted...

Reactions: jpmcwjr