PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I have not had much luck with pouches.I have a real leather rubber lined one with zip top.Good brand name.However when I put my baccy in it you can almost hear the moisture heading for the hills and it is bone dry in no time.A couple of months ago I was given 25 grms of St Bruno from a SuperMarket,it was in a plasticky type pouch. Found some still in there today and it still is a bit moist.I am going to chuck out my fancy leather pouch and use the one from Tesco :)

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I generally only put the amount of tobacco that I am going to smoke for one or two days in my pouch and use while I am away from home.... it does not dry out in this period of time.... I keep most of my tobacco in mason jars at home.....I don't really think pouches are designed for holding tobacco for a long period of time... but rather to carry with you while on the move... just my thoughts

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I try to do the same as bowhatchie, but often get carried away so when that happens and I know the pouch is going to just set on the shelf for a few days I do just the opposite of puffintuff, and place my leather pouch inside a ziploc bag until I’m ready to smoke what’s inside.
BTW... I really like the old zipper pouches with the surgical rubber lining, but I think the rollup pouches do a better job of keeping the tobacco fresh longer.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Driving trucks, I'm gone for a few days to a week at a time.

I used to bring small mason jars with me, but that got way too bulky with more than a couple of blends.

What I started doing was carrying my tobacco in glass cigar tubes. Most of them have a great seal that will keep tobacco fresh for months.

The tubes I have will hold 8-9 bowls easily.

I would bring about 8 tubes with me usually.

Just label each tube, put them in a cigar case, and Bam. Portable tobacco cabinet.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Lonestar, that is an awesome idea, going to have to use that one myself - I say variety is the spice of life, so I've taken to tossing a couple (or four) 250ml mason-jars in my brief-case each morning.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Glad I could help ! I was in the same place you are, tired of dragging jars around. One day I was going through my humidor for a cigar, and looking at some tubed cigars and the idea dawned on me.

The way I smoke, I have one or two "go to blends" I smoke often, and I would take a mason jar of those. But I have at least two dozen others I smoke from time to time, and I don't know exactly what I'll be in the mood for the day after tomorrow.

Its pretty nice to have a wide selection at your fingertips without adding 15 pounds of glass jars to the junk I'm carrying around already.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
My leather tobacco pounch is always in my inside coat pocket. Im not fond of zippered pouches, i like the ones that look like fold over leather wallets

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Flakes. Two of them wrapped in the plastic foil you also use for your lunch bread fit perfectly in the wallet where you'd put a credit card. Want more? Put more flakes in.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I for one use the inexpensive roll ups. However; I only put as much 1Q in it that I will consume in a single day. I store my 1Q in it's zip lock bag that I bring home from the B&M. I store that in a large Bail Topped Gevalia Coffee Jar. I will, as I stated, only open that jar to remove 1 days supply of tobacco. Some days I do not smoke 1Q at all. Other days I intend to smoke nothing but 1Q. So, the tobacco I do place in the pouch is as fresh as is possible, and the main stash has little exposure to dry air.
I don't think that tobacco pouches are designed for or are intended to be used for anything other than transportation of tobacco, and not for the storage of it.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Every once in awhile i forget about the tobacco in my pouch,so if it's to dry i just mix it back in the can and all is good,i do like that cigar tube idea.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The rubber glove that Cortez sent me . Before that a Ziplock freezer bag colored with a brown magic marker to look like corinthian leather .

Status
Not open for further replies.