PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
I have found some small coin like humidors at Tinder Box that you soak in water and then drop it the pouch-they work great for pouches. Love the tube idea though.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
I like my box type pouch.Its easy to fill from a tin and just as easy to load a pipe with.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I use the smaller snack size zip locks. I then put the zip lock back in my pouch. Occaisionally get an odd look or two when I pull out my baggy and work the tobacco a bit before loading my pipe.....still waiting for some busy body to say something or call me in. I wonder how some of the younger inexperienced officers will look at the tobacco cakes we often have before we break it up. Lol.

May 10, 2011
A leather rubber lined Jobey pouch. A gift it carries well looks great and does the job, that's what's important for me. LD Jonathan :puffpipe: :puffpipe: :puffy: :clap:

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
As lowdesertjonathan said "....it looks great and does the job.....". I agree that looking great counts a lot. I know that my pipe smoking gets a lot of attention. People tend to look at my pipe and the various activities of loading my smokes, tamping and lighting. It is sort of an event and a procedure we go through without even realizing that others watch. So it is good to look sharp and to have good looking equipment. A fine pipe, a quality pouch, fine tobacco all add up to the style a guy shows when his pipe is working for him. It all makes a statement about a man and his appreciation of the quality of a good life well lived.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I stuff enough tobacco in a pouch to last three or four days. By the end of it the tobacco is pretty dried out, but I tend to prefer my tobacco in this way; I seem to get a cooler, drier smoke that stays lit a helluva lot easier.
I think the cut of the tobacco you stick into a pouch is going to make a difference as well. Not all cuts dry as favorable as one another. Shag and ribbon cuts stand up well pretty dry, whereas the flakes want to crumble to dust.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
at home i put everything in jars. i have a nice big leather jobey case for seven pipes that i use for road trips and travel. day to day i put small amounts of tobaccy into captain black pouches i have kept and a couple pipe in my backpack that is always with me, holding sketching supplies laptop and such.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I have a leather pouch with zipper and have been using it for over 10 years, believe it or not I bought it at WalMart back then, it works great. I have a small disk humidor that all you need to do is pour water over it and it will keep your favorite baccy moist for over two weeks, seldom that my baccy is in the pouch that long, but has happened because I was smoking other baccys from my stash.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Great thread and great suggestions all, particularly the cigar tubes--thanks Lonestar. :clap:

I use the rubber-lined pouch that came with my pipe case for the occasional afternoon smoke, or else one of the screw-down type tins if that's what i'm smoking. A weekend business trip to Houston demanded several ziplocs and a tin. Haven't had a real transportation problem yet, mainly because the time when I'm not at home is mainly running around at breakneck speed, and not often allowing for the moments of pause that I prefer to smoke in.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I carry all of my stuff in a canvass messenger bag. Tins, zip lock bags, pipes, tools, etc. Guess its like having a "man-bag" but I'm at an age where I put convenience above fashion.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I started out using a pretty expensive leather case thinking it was really cool....in the last year however, I've fallen in love with those dirt-cheap fold-up plaid pouches. They might be ugly but they take up less room, keep my tobacco in great shape for several days, and are perfect for the way I load my pipe.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have the same type of leather pouch as you do. I simply place enough tobacco in my pouch for up to three days and have a clay silver button in the pouch to keep the tobacco from drying out too much. Of course, I live in Sugar Land, TX and the humidity helps. Good luck.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I forgot to mention my homemade pipe pouches...well, not made exactly--I simply use the airline schwag bags, and find them (usually) perfectly-sized for pipes and paraphernalia. Just sent one off to jlee, in fact, and am eager to hear his take on it.

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
I keep my tobacco stash in mason jars at home, and I've been doing the cigar-tube thing for about a year. I'm not really a cigar fan, but from time to time I'll buy a bigger one that comes in a nice tube. Holds a decent amount.
My cousin makes handbags and cases from leather, so I'm trying to convince him to make me a small tobacco pouch...

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
just use the zip lock bags and roll them closed. leave a bag or two in glove box incase of those senior monents. still stays good in this florida hot weather, doesnt dry out.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have had, for 25 years, a lovely antelope pouch with a latex liner for the tobacco. Gift from a South African friend. Recently the late finally gave up and tore through.
So I have a pouch on order, but suspect I'll use one of those little snack size Ziplocs inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.