PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I’m currently trying a bunch of different blends, and wanted to know how long my tobacco will stay good in my opened Captain Black pouch?

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Central AC dries things out that’s how it works. If the pouch is sealed you’re fine but if you say leave it open tobacco will dry out fast in general. I assume you are asking about all tobacco really not just stuffed drowned in PG solution.
Well, I guess that’s why I’m asking the question, because those roll-up pouches don’t exactly seal the tobacco. I’m sure they will keep it fresh for X amount of time. I just have no experience to know just how long that time is? Weeks, months, years? I highly doubt years.

Is it even possible for Captain Black to dry? Ha ha. As for real tobaccos, like Virginia Flakes, I dry them before I even put them in a pouch. I wouldn't ever want my tobacco to stay moist and give me a steamy leather tongue.
I mean sure, if someone likes aromatics, they may want them to stay moist.

I had a pouch of Carter Hall that I smoked while on my tractor. I left the pouch in the tool box on the tractor through Fall till Spring, and it stayed as moist as the day I opened it. It never really dried out enough for me to enjoy smoking it... if one CAN enjoy Carter Hall. puffy

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Is it even possible for Captain Black to dry? Ha ha. As for real tobaccos, like Virginia Flakes, I dry them before I even put them in a pouch. I wouldn't ever want my tobacco to stay moist and give me a steamy leather tongue.

I had a pouch of Carter Hall that I smoked while on my tractor. I left the pouch in the tool box on the tractor through Fall till Spring, and it stayed as moist as the day I opened it. It never really dried out enough for me to enjoy smoking it... if one CAN enjoy Carter Hall. puffy
Interesting. I haven’t really found it to be all that wet. I’ve had no problem keeping it lit, without heating up my bowl. In fact, moisture wise, it has seemed to be similar to the EMP I just got.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I haven’t really found it to be all that wet.
I didn't say that it was sopping wet, but that codger blends are moistened with PG, so it doesn't dry out on the shelves, after sometimes over a year in a pouch. Early in my pipesmoking, I used to enjoy Captain Black White. But, as I explored other blends, I just grew away from them. I also grew to prefer my tobaccos be very dry.

I know that aromatics still need to keep a little moisture on the topping to prevent them from losing that added aroma.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I leave those open pouches of this or that in my car all the time. The heat of the summer and the cold of the winter don't seem to affect it much. There's a reason for propylene glycol in these popular blends. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're talking three or four months of it being open. Just my experience, in upstate NY for decades. Leather roll-ups with "good" tobacco in them are another story.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I leave those open pouches of this or that in my car all the time. The heat of the summer and the cold of the winter don't seem to affect it much. There's a reason for propylene glycol in these popular blends. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're talking three or four months of it being open. Just my experience, in upstate NY for decades. Leather roll-ups with "good" tobacco in them are another story.
Thank you! I don’t smoke everyday, so I don’t see me finishing that one pouch anytime soon, because I want to try others. Right now it’s looking like I’ll be amoking 3-4 times a week (maybe a 5th). So with 12 other blends on hand it might get stretched beyond 4 months. I’m thinking I’m just going to keep it in the pouch and find out how long it will last kept there. Thank you gentlemen for all your input!

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022

The Miracle of Modern Chemistry ...