PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
If you ever decide to buy a good pouch, remember this. A roll pouch will keep tobacco fresher than a zipper pouch. puffy
Interesting… Didn’t know that. I’m ever ready to learn more. I don’t know if this forum allows you to post links, but if so, please feed me a couple of what you’d recommend.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Interesting… Didn’t know that. I’m ever ready to learn more. I don’t know if this forum allows you to post links, but if so, please feed me a couple of what you’d recommend.
Haven't bought a new pouch in at least 40 years. Can't recommend one in particular, but make sure it's rubber lined and soft. Also, I wouldn't pay too much as guys seem to loose them. puffy

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have definitely gotten dry-ish pouches of Captain Black, so it is possible for it to dry out. It depends largely on ambient humidity. Keep in mind that, while the tobacco may still be somewhat moist in the pouch, the flavorings can evaporate and you may be left with something fairly tasteless, but still smokable. I don't see any reason not to jar it unless you're going to smoke it regularly until the pouch is gone.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I have definitely gotten dry-ish pouches of Captain Black, so it is possible for it to dry out. It depends largely on ambient humidity. Keep in mind that, while the tobacco may still be somewhat moist in the pouch, the flavorings can evaporate and you may be left with something fairly tasteless, but still smokable. I don't see any reason not to jar it unless you're going to smoke it regularly until the pouch is gone.
Yeah, I’m thinking I’m going to jar it. I guess I did probably get a drier batch, because I could keep that lit better than the Squire’s Shepherds Pie I smoked tonight, which is largely an English blend. I bought my CB at a local vaping store that a bunch of teenagers go to. I’m thinking it was sitting there for a while, because when I asked the guy if they had any CB he didn’t know, and I could tell he was clueless as to what I was even talking about. Then the manager jumped in and said “oh yeah, we’ve got some of that over here”…having to look for it.

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Yeah, I’m thinking I’m going to jar it. I guess I did probably get a drier batch, because I could keep that lit better than the Squire’s Shepherds Pie I smoked tonight, which is largely an English blend. I bought my CB at a local vaping store that a bunch of teenagers go to. I’m thinking it was sitting there for a while, because when I asked the guy if they had any CB he didn’t know, and I could tell he was clueless as to what I was even talking about. Then the manager jumped in and said “oh yeah, we’ve got some of that over here”…having to look for it.
I bought my very first pipe tobacco (a pouch of Captain Black regular) at a place like that. I got lucky and my pouch was super fresh. A lot of those shops that sell vape stuff and glass "tobacco" pipes etc. may also carry a few generic pipe tobaccos, but it's definitely a gamble as it's likely to have been sitting there on the shelf for a few years.

Captain Black burns fairly well despite the moisture. It should have a fairly strong, sweet vanilla flavor if it's not stale. I have to admit that I still like CB Regular/White quite a bit.
If you're having trouble keeping the non-aromatic blends lit ceteris paribus, try packing them a bit more firmly than the aromatics. This was what worked for me. It pays to experiment and try different things.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I bought my very first pipe tobacco (a pouch of Captain Black regular) at a place like that. I got lucky and my pouch was super fresh. A lot of those shops that sell vape stuff and glass "tobacco" pipes etc. may also carry a few generic pipe tobaccos, but it's definitely a gamble as it's likely to have been sitting there on the shelf for a few years.

Captain Black burns fairly well despite the moisture. It should have a fairly strong, sweet vanilla flavor if it's not stale. I have to admit that I still like CB Regular/White quite a bit.
If you're having trouble keeping the non-aromatic blends lit ceteris paribus, try packing them a bit more firmly than the aromatics. This was what worked for me. It pays to experiment and try different things.
Thank you, that’s very helpful. Yeah, so far I’ve tried 7 different brands, mostly aromatics and a couple English, and Captain Black is one of my favorites for sure.