PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I had all my pipes lined up on a shelf (which I had never seen before) for display. I was no longer going to hide my nicest pipes away in boxes or drawers. Then, clumsily, I drop this gorgeous Meer:

View attachment 288917

It was in the case still, but despite that, managed to break off the stem at the shank. It breaks into a thousand pieces. My beautiful 100+ year old ruined. The shank had snapped off the bowl, and crumbled like eggshell.

My first thought is that the person who gifted it to me will have to kill me now. My second thought, is that maybe I could get a replacement piece made, and re-use the bowl. My third thought is, and this is the worst part, I never even got to enjoy the pipe! I've been waiting until my technique improves and I can get more flavors out of tobacco.

Then I woke up.

Not for a long time have I woken from a dream and felt such relief.
weird I just broke the stem on my meer too. Though the rest of the pipe is fine. Some how I practically threw the thing across a room. I don't even understand how the physics of how it went flying. Oh the stummel has a minor chip that fell off of it. A paper thin piece of meer.
Fun fact I've been thinking about how I really like every single thing about the pipe otherwise then the stem. So at some point I guess I will have a custom made one. Turning a chunky stemmed churchwarden into a mediumish sized billard with a nice stem.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I once had a dream that I had died in an unusual and questionable yachting accident. I arrived at the Pearly Gates to be confronted by Saint Peter in a Gannex rain coat who proceeded to thumb through this huge book until he came to my name. After a few minutes he said 'Simon you have lived a borderline good life, loved your Mother and apart from the flatulence and midget jokes you may come into heaven. However there is one formality and that is the cavity search!'. At that point I usually wake up in a cold sweat.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It’s a premonition. Best give it away before you break it. I’ll happily cover the shipping
how do you think it's going to get broken? You excitedly open your box from the mail and that's when a Wallaby kicks the pipe like he's a mini Jet Li. So not only do you lose the pipe but also now have to ponder the follies of humanity through the lens of invasive yet adorable creatures.
You can't cheat fate is all I am saying.

Aug 1, 2012
how do you think it's going to get broken? You excitedly open your box from the mail and that's when a Wallaby kicks the pipe like he's a mini Jet Li. So not only do you lose the pipe but also now have to ponder the follies of humanity through the lens of invasive yet adorable creatures.
You can't cheat fate is all I am saying.
In Kiwiland, it's more like a kea gets a hold of it and grinds it into powder out of spite.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I was reading and ogling the picture at the same time as my heart was sinking.
I almost backed out of the thread before I had to see the “after” pics I thought were coming. Glad I didn’t.

However, I guess I do belong here because the emotional response I had to the thought of that beautiful pipe meeting such and end was the worst thing that happened all day (and earlier I though tractor’s hydraulic system had pooped the bed, so that’s saying something!).

Now screw technique insecurity and smoke that thing!!!

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I had all my pipes lined up on a shelf (which I had never seen before) for display. I was no longer going to hide my nicest pipes away in boxes or drawers. Then, clumsily, I drop this gorgeous Meer:

View attachment 288917

It was in the case still, but despite that, managed to break off the stem at the shank. It breaks into a thousand pieces. My beautiful 100+ year old ruined. The shank had snapped off the bowl, and crumbled like eggshell.

My first thought is that the person who gifted it to me will have to kill me now. My second thought, is that maybe I could get a replacement piece made, and re-use the bowl. My third thought is, and this is the worst part, I never even got to enjoy the pipe! I've been waiting until my technique improves and I can get more flavors out of tobacco.

Then I woke up.

Not for a long time have I woken from a dream and felt such relief.
You had me there at first

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I once had a dream that I had died in an unusual and questionable yachting accident. I arrived at the Pearly Gates to be confronted by Saint Peter in a Gannex rain coat who proceeded to thumb through this huge book until he came to my name. After a few minutes he said 'Simon you have lived a borderline good life, loved your Mother and apart from the flatulence and midget jokes you may come into heaven. However there is one formality and that is the cavity search!'. At that point I usually wake up in a cold sweat.

Simon, what no one wanted to tell you is that was no dream, but reality. I hate to be the bearer of truly bad news, but you’re stuck in a dream with us now.