PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Igloo,...one of the many things that I hated about the original was the fact that the story takes place in both Arkansas and "the Indian Territories",..(where I've lived for no less than four decades), but was filmed in Colorado with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop! Obsurd!! The more I think about the 1969 version the more I realize I hated it.
Glen Campbell as a Texas Ranger... give me a freakin' break!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The last indian attack in Texas took place around Harper[Doss] early 190? .The Cheyenne and Comanche gave early German settlers a hard time in the Texas hill country . Kimble county the land of living water is on the Comanche trail and was a favorite hunting ground for them and other tribes . The Jim Bowie cabin is located on the Heap ranch in Telegraph about 25 miles south of Junction . John Wesley Hardin also lived in the general area .

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
Tommy I agree with you. The original isnt that great and I really appreciate old westerns. It was fun and memorable and of course had the Duke...the biggest American bad ass. But come on, its outdated.
You gotta support these movies when they come out these days. They don't make too many westerns anymore and the westerns after Kurosawa made cinema great based on the characters and story. No special effects, CGI, 3D crap. Just back to the basics.
the outlaw gang in this movie is awesome too. Barry Pepper who plays Lucky Ned Pepper has a small role that is memorable (his teeth and spit alone make you giddy) and he is a local British Columbia boy. Same guy that played the sniper in Saving Private Ryan. Theres another member of the gang who is a complete looney asshole that thinks hes a chicken and or a donkey. Its brilliant.
I'm reading that the actress (who was unknown before this) who plays Mattie might be up for an Oscar nod as well. She held her own with the big names. You can't help but smile when she out barters people trying to screw her over.
Did anyone here like the 3:10 to Yuma remake?
Hey lets just start a favorite western movie post!
Mine is Outlaw Jose Wales

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
My favorite western to date would have to be Open Range, with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.
3:10 to Yuma was excellent and so was Appaloosa.

Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven is right up there at the top as well.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
I liked Lonesome Dove and watch it quiet often if for no other reason than the underlying story of friendship.
Open Range is an awesome movie,Costner, and Duval did an awesome job. Havent seen Yuma yet

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I just got back from the theater! The Coen Brothers knocked this one in the head!
Great motion picture! If you're one of those guys who has a black velvet picture of "The Duke" on your wall and a kachina doll on top of your television, don't bother going to see it, I doubt it will satisfy you.

But if you loved the novel or just like the story, go see it. It's not a big wide 1960's epic,...it IS however; the book come to life. The humor is there, (including one scene that is 100% Coen brothers),...the action is as realistic as it gets and Mattie gets her well deserved attention.
I laughed at times along with everyone in the theater, was on the edge of my seat with them, and I'd be willing to bet there wasn't a throat in the place that didn't have a lump in it or an eye that wasn't welled up just like mine at the end.
If you love westerns, or just this story,....go see it on the big screen with a box of popcorn and a cold drink.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I sure did want to play hookie today and sneak off and see it . If I had known my boss was going to take a three hour lunch I would have done it .

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
dang Tommy tell us how you really feel about the classic true grit. i love it and always will. no need to get so emotional. i grew up with john wanye movies and have about all of them. no velvet pictures or duke dolls. so relax before you blow a gasket. my favorite newer western is tombstone. the old ture grit must of been pretty good for someone to remake it. i may just go see the remake of a great classic movie. dave

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Actually the new movie is based solely off the book and not the old movie. So it's really not a remake. I am really looking forward to seeing it. Some of my family went last night and said it was really good.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I read the book for a high school literature class and had a terrible time convincing the teacher that it was "real" literature. It was about a year later that the movie was released...this was in 1968-69 thereabouts.....and I saw my teacher at the local moviehouse.
I teased her about seeing the movie and she admitted she had read the book.
I guess we were both surprised. :D

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Gotta say I liked the original and may see the new one. BUT, my all time favorite western is "Call Me Trinity." OK I admit i am warped and twisted!

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
Saw True Grit last night... I like it much better than the original(in my opinion "The Searchers" was a much better John Wayne film).

My list of best recent westerns stands as this now:

Unforgiven

True Grit (2010)

3:10 to Yuma

Open Range

Apoloosa

Tombstone
I will not even put Cowboys and Aliens on this list until I hear more about it. But that one looks like it will be a fun movie at least.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
I'm going this weekend to see "True Grit" and from what everyone has said it should be great.
The original film is what it is. No discounting the Duke's performance nor that of Kim Darby. I never did buy Glen Campbell in his role. He didn't have the acting chops for it. I will say one of my favorite characters in the original film was the horse trader played by Strother Martin. Was there ever a better supporting player?
As for the newer westerns, the realism is much appreciated. I can barley tolerate most of the older stuff now, with a few exceptions.
Some new faves:

Open Range

Unforgiven

Tombstone and Wyatt Earp (Dennis Quaid and Val Kilmer had different takes on Doc Holiday but both nailed it)

Dances With Wolves

Silverado (Not realistic but it was a lot of fun. John Cleese as a town sheriff, who'd a thought?)

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Caliguy, you should enjoy the horse-trader, (Col. something-or-other), played by Dakin Matthews as well. For a second there I couldn't tell the difference between the two interpretations.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Glen Campbell was pretty horrible in the original! I am glad I wasn't the only one that thought that!
And JW did a great job as rooster, but Jeff blows him out of the water!! (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.