PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
no way.the duke forever jeff never. i am going to try and see the remake of the clasicc this weekend. lot of classic members on here that i like so i may like the remake. 8O

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the tip Tommy. Now I really am looking forward to seeing the new True Grit.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Gentlemen I believe we have missed the one western above all others. The one horse opera that set the standard for all others that followed. A movie that will be talked about long after all of us have shed this mortal coil. Yes, I'm talking about
BLAZING SADDLES!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Gentlemen I believe we have missed the one western above all others. The one horse opera that set the standard for all others that followed. A movie that will be talked about long after all of us have shed this mortal coil. Yes, I'm talking about Blazing Saddles
:mrgreen: ROTFLMAO!!!! :mrgreen:
"SOMEBODY'S GOTTA GO BACK TO TOWN AND GET A $h!+LOAD OF DIMES!"

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Another favorite of mine is "The Magnificent Seven" if for no other reason than the Elmer Bernstein score. Was it a great western? Perhaps not, but at the time no other cast except the Rat Pack offered more cool per square inch of movie screen.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
The_Good__The_Bad___The_Ugly_wTitle.jpg

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'll warn you up front, I haven't seen the original. I love the Old West in its themes and its scenery but I haven't been able to appreciate many classic Western movies. They haven't aged well to my liking; the acting lacks realism and feels extremely dated. Frankly, I find it hard to sit through many movies predating the late 1960s for the same reasons.
So there are my prejudices; I'm not likely to make any friends with those kind of pronouncements but its in all honesty!
With that said, I finally got to see the new True Grit tonight and it was great. I can't sing the praises of Jeff Bridges enough. He makes a mean Rooster Cogburn. I was sold on him the second I saw the trailer many months ago. While the ending didn't give much satisfaction, I enjoyed the whole picture thoroughly enough to look past the anticlimax. Recommended to all.
I'm going to read the Charles Portis novel in the next little while and maybe I will get around to watching the Duke's version just to be fair.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
i didnt like the end that much either but i loved the scene when he raced the horse to death to save her. that was shot brilliantly

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
the original was on amc all weekend watched it 3 times. old classic`s will never die in my eyes.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i haven't seen the new true grit movie yet, but some where some one said that jeff mumbulled a lot and you couldn't make out what he said.

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I've never seen the original but I saw the new version of True Grit a few days after it came out. That was my favorite film of 2010, with Inception and Kick Ass being close 2nds. I'm not a huge western guy but I did love 3:10 to Yuma and Apoloosa, also not sure if any of you were able to watch the HBO series Deadwood a few years back..great show.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Buckeye, I always consider "remakes" a separate entity from the original film. The old True Grit will remain for what it was and the new one just brings the same story to a different audience with a completely different approach. One won't replace the other entirely, but we'll all have favourites.
Mowens, I've been planning on creating a Deadwood thread from my first post. You've forced my hand! :) We'll have to discuss it thoroughly there. You should recognize Richardson from my display pic, he is an excellent character, simply hilarious.
Deadwood is definitely my favourite television show of all-time; I've only come to it recently and I'm a few episodes away from where it prematurely left off. Anyone who enjoyed True Grit will find Deadwood incredibly appealing and more.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Chero, Jeff might have mumbled too much for some people's liking but it fit the bill as far as I'm concerned. You should watch it if you get a chance. Take things like that with a grain of salt, I think it adds to Rooster's personality. I hope you enjoy it even if you don't appreciate it the same as the first one. Same to you, Buckeye. It's still a pretty good western.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
The Coens are genius, that's hardly disputable--especially with the quality and thoughtfulness of their films in comparison to the regular claptrap of the studio system. That being said, I really wish they'd had the balls to film it in Technicolor--*that* would have been painting a picture!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I agree with you whole-heartedly about the Coen brothers and their work, but I thought the color of the film was one of the things I liked about it. I'm from the part of the country where the story takes place, and at that time of the year, it ain't very pretty here, and the times were tough and days were dreary.

The color and location of the 1969 film was one of the things I hated about it. I might have only been sixteen years old, but I knew Fort Smith and eastern Oklahoma looked pretty much the opposite of Colorado and the Rocky Mountains. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.